Partial albums driving me nuts!

homhom
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Every time I go to buy an album from iTunes it is only a partial album. Most of them have been partial albums since iTunes first came out, going on 7 months now. But what is really driving me crazy is that most of them are only missing one song. It's like Apple/Big 5 want people to buy 16 individual tracks or guy buy the cd.

Or they will have the complete album, but only the clean version. Sometimes they only have clean versions of albums and no explicit versions at all.

I'm just fed up with it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    This is one compromise I really wish Apple hadn't made. Sure, they didn't allow albums to only be sold as a piece, but they really should have held out for all singles being downloadable. They are still trying to run the scam that charges $18 for a single.

The sad thing is that the artists are in on this too.

I snapped when I saw the Clash's London Calling available as a partial album ... with one song. One song out of a double album.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    i think it was a way of putting a toe in, so to speak, for many artists.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Partial albums driving me nuts!

That's one of the many reaons is still prefer to buy physical CDs and rip them on my own. The iTunes store is great for shopping around, but in the end I still just head on down to Amazon to buy a couple o' plain old CDs.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 14
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I think it's the artists' and record companies' way of encouraging CD sales. A likely result is that some folks just look for the missing songs with P2P. The idea might just backfire.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

That's one of the many reaons is still prefer to buy physical CDs and rip them on my own. The iTunes store is great for shopping around, but in the end I still just head on down to Amazon to buy a couple o' plain old CDs.

Escher

Same here - of course, not being able to access the iTMS from my "neck of the woods" is a contributing factor also!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    You know what i do. I go to iTunes. If they dont have a song, like one is missing from the album. I buy the album anyhow missing that song.

Then i go steal the missing song.

They want to screw me- I will screw them.

I also am annoyed at the artists with no music yet. Like Madonna- Beatles etc. I say we start a campaign where everytime we go to get a song that is not available on iTunes Muisc store- we steal from wherever. Then send an email to the artist letting them know what a hassle it was to find their song on Kazza Limewire etc. And how we looked on iTunes to buy- but no luck.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

You know what i do. I go to iTunes. If they dont have a song, like one is missing from the album. I buy the album anyhow missing that song.

They want to screw me- I will screw them.

I also am annoyed at the artists with no music yet. Like Madonna- Beatles etc. I say we start a campaign where everytime we go to get a song that is not available on iTunes Muisc store- we steal from wherever. Then send an email to the artist letting them know what a hassle it was to find their song on Kazza Limewire etc. And how we looked on iTunes to buy- but no luck.

Ummm... not a fan of theft. Stealing from somebody because it was too difficult to buy their material online in the first place is not the solution.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Ummm... not a fan of theft. Stealing from somebody because it was too difficult to buy their material online in the first place is not the solution.

This distributors job is to get the product where you want to buy it. If they don't do that and someone else does- then who's problem is it?

They are the business and I am the customer. A customer who is willing to pay a reasonable price. But i can't buy what isnt for sale.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

But that is not a great solution, not paying attention to the legal/ethical implications, because some of the albums are 15+ songs. So I would pay $15 for the digital songs when I can go buy the cd for $12+. Not a great deal in my book.

I would seem that you are getting screwed not the record companies.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

But that is not a great solution, not paying attention to the legal/ethical implications, because some of the albums are 15+ songs. So I would pay $15 for the digital songs when I can go buy the cd for $12+. Not a great deal in my book.

I would seem that you are getting screwed not the record companies.

Well sometimes thats true. But if thats the case- I say steal it all and send the letter.

They will never move to digital if one keeps buying in on CD.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    There is absolutely nothing I would want to download from iTMS. I'm a dance dj/producer and if I do a search on all the artists I have on my records, nothing shows up.

iTMS looked good when I first heard about it, but actually it's just commercial b*llsh*t.

It isn't even available in Europe.

There is so much more music to explore in the world, why does it always have to be commercial, is it really about the money?

I guess so.

I hear there are troubles getting contracts with record labels in Europe, laws and such (don't know a lot of laws), but there are a lot of small independant labels that could use the iTMS for getting better known in the world.

I wonder who does the importing of the songs in iTMS, they obviously just watch TV and look for what is 'in'.

If they want to launch iTMS for real, they should get people who know what they are doing, professionals in specific styles of music.

Basta
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

This distributors job is to get the product where you want to buy it. If they don't do that and someone else does- then who's problem is it?

They are the business and I am the customer. A customer who is willing to pay a reasonable price. But i can't buy what isnt for sale.

Putting aside the issue of who's problem it is, I would not condone theft of a song, nor any other property for that matter. Just because a distributor does not manage to get a song onto the iTMS, does not mean that you are entitled to go and steal it from some file sharing network, or other place.

Also, if you're a customer who is willing to pay a reasonable price for a song, why resort to stealing it? What made you change your mind?

"Hey, I'm willing to buy this song. Aw heck, I can't find it on the iTMS. I've changed my mind... now I'll steal it." Doesn't make sense to me.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drazztikka

There is so much more music to explore in the world, why does it always have to be commercial, is it really about the money?

I guess so.

The iTunes Music Store will put up anything a semi-major label wants to put up. So, get the labels of your favorite artists to support it.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Putting aside the issue of who's problem it is, I would not condone theft of a song, nor any other property for that matter. Just because a distributor does not manage to get a song onto the iTMS, does not mean that you are entitled to go and steal it from some file sharing network, or other place.

Also, if you're a customer who is willing to pay a reasonable price for a song, why resort to stealing it? What made you change your mind?

"Hey, I'm willing to buy this song. Aw heck, I can't find it on the iTMS. I've changed my mind... now I'll steal it." Doesn't make sense to me.

How do you propose putting preassure on labels to list music.

Send a friendly letter and ask politely??