Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Somehow I don't think that headline on page 55 was supposed to be in Courier

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    whats the headline...?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    better yet... how about a scan so we can all judge?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I think he's talking about where it reads

"W hen W here, and How to Get the Best Mac Deals"

There is a big space between the W's on when and where and the l and the s on deals touch each other.

big deal.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    W hatever
  • Reply 5 of 26
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    At first, I might be inclined to think it was indeed some sort of technical issue.

But it might be some cutting-edge designer trying to get cute and "out there" with some sort of deconstructionist, post-modern, pre-post-yesterday typography.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member

That's from the digital magazine... guess they fixed it?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    They figured out "kerning"!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

Somehow I don't think that headline on page 55 was supposed to be in Courier

I didn't get mine yet...it'll probably come in a few hours. What's the magazine cover?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member

The type on that thing does suck a bit.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Wow! They actually noted the new product releases usually it takes them a month...
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

big deal.

I think sometimes graphic designers forget that things that make us want to jump off hotel balconies aren't even noticable to most folk.

Using Courier is anathema to graphic designers, because it indicates a PostScript error with your font. So, even when it's not a mistake, it looks like one. But this probably is just a mistake.

I actually know a guy who was fired from a major magazine for this same error, so it's actually a pretty big deal...if you're the one who did it!
  • Reply 12 of 26
    What a cute cover! I love that pig.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

What a cute cover! I love that pig.

SJ: Oh, and one more thing: The new PowerPig G5, the fastest piggy bank in the world!
  • Reply 14 of 26
    mmmmmm..... anodized bacon </homer>
  • Reply 15 of 26
    That cover is UGLY! One of the worst that I've ever seen. It sure didn't make me want to open it up and see what's on the inside.

What were they thinking...

Chas
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

That cover is UGLY! One of the worst that I've ever seen. It sure didn't make me want to open it up and see what's on the inside.

What were they thinking...

Chas

Does it remind you of the advertsing aesthetic of the 60s? Does for me.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    I think it's that yellow ribbon and the clunky serif font contained within (which isn't even riding along the same path made by the ribbon) that makes it look a little off.

Otherwise, it's your standard clean, crisp Macworld cover.

The yellow ribbon and type look a bit low-rent and amateurish. Kinda like a PennySaver or something. Looks pasted together and mismatched (the type path/ribbon).

The rest (top iMac pic, pig, type, etc. I like just fine.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Does it remind you of the advertsing aesthetic of the 60s? Does for me.

Call me in 5 years. You've got a place in my agency.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I think it's that yellow ribbon and the clunky serif font contained within (which isn't even riding along the same path made by the ribbon) that makes it look a little off.

Otherwise, it's your standard clean, crisp Macworld cover.

The yellow ribbon and type look a bit low-rent and amateurish. Kinda like a PennySaver or something. Looks pasted together and mismatched (the type path/ribbon).

The rest (top iMac pic, pig, type, etc. I like just fine.

I just got this issue. If you read the editorial they mention that at the time they were working on this issue they are/were working on two new publications, an online magazine for Mac developers and a Panther exclusive magazine...so I'd let them go for this fau paux

...better yet

...short staffed?

HIRE ME!!!

• Reply 20 of 26
    Actually, I just got mine yesterday too (hadn't gotten home to see it when I wrote the previous post).

Doing three pubs ain't an excuse. Not my fault they bit off more than they could chew.

But seriously, the article on the inside about "saving" and so forth, uses starbusts (UGH!) and little coupon clipper lines and so forth (with lots of yellow) to kinda give it that whole "SAVE! BIG! NOW!" look, so now that I've seen the entire thing, it's okay.

The look they were going for, I guess.

And yes...hire me too! I'd LOVE to work for a magazine like Macworld, even if it was only flowing type or dropping in graphics or getting coffee for the bigwigs. Imagine all you'd learn in that environment!