What am I missing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I waited a long time to get 2 256 mb ram chips for imac 266 rev c. I installed and only half shows up. I was aware of the firmware update needed to increase the limit from 256 - 512 I thought I had it installed long time ago. Now I can't seem to find the right firmware. I did notice that Apple on their support pages no longer lists this model for anything bigger than a total of 256 (2x128), but every mac memory site I go to lists a 256 chip for this machine. I am so confused. I was excited to finally get the chips and now... Didn't Apple at one point list the fact that with firmware 4.1.? that you could now use 2x256 in a Rev c iMac.

Please Help

sincerely

OMF

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Well it seems that all I need is firmware 3.0. This is installed already. ASP is only seeing 128 per chip in os 9.2.2 or 10.1.5.

The chips I know are good. Tested them in my PB G4. They show up just fine, 2x256.

Any ideas...

Sincerely

OMF
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Wow no one has a clue...why is it I have prob's that no one has a clue about.

OMF

LOL
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

Wow no one has a clue...why is it I have prob's that no one has a clue about.

OMF

LOL

Providing more info might help prompt more useful troubleshooting

Brand of RAM (Crucial, Kingston, brandX)? DIMM specs (speed, parity, etc)

ASP DIMM report output from G4 vs. ASP report on iMac?

The fact a G4 can recognize the RAM while an iMac can't isn't a guarantee that all is hunky dory...

Sometimes it's all in the details.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Providing more info might help prompt more useful troubleshooting

Brand of RAM (Crucial, Kingston, brandX)? DIMM specs (speed, parity, etc)

ASP DIMM report output from G4 vs. ASP report on iMac?

The fact a G4 can recognize the RAM while an iMac can't isn't a guarantee that all is hunky dory...

Sometimes it's all in the details.

The asp reports list no more than what amount of mem is recognized in

each slot. The two chips are mismatch and until my wife stops using the machine I can't get most of the rest of the infor. I had to wait two weeks for her to be out of the house when I was home to change them. I do know they are pc133. But I do not remember seeing a brand name.

Thanks for the Questions

I will post more as soon as I can

Sincerely

OMF
  • Reply 5 of 6
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    off the top of my head, i'd say they are high-density chips. many older machines will only see half the ram on such chips. but yeah, post any info you can find about the ram
  • Reply 6 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Some motherboards can only see the chips on one side of the RAM module. Check and see if the new modules have eight chips on each side, or just eight chips on one side of the PCB.

I have no idea if iMacs suffer from this limitation however...

Good luck...