Need help with Proxy settings for Cable Modem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Trying to set up my daughter's new iBook so that she can use the new Cable Modem. Insight Cable is the provider. TCP/IP and all that is fine. When she tries to go to a web site, the browser goes to Insight trying to register her computer. After a couple of click throughs she gets an error message.

I sent email to Insight and their response was as follows:

---------------

The proxy address is: sas.r31.insightbb.com; the port is: 8000. This should be used for all protocols.

The Do Not Use Proxy Server for Addresses beginning with box needs:

*.r31.insightbb.com

---------------

I'm not sure exactly how that info should be put into her Proxy settings.

Any ideas? I have Insight here and have never had to change any Proxy settings in order to "register" a computer with them.

Thanks,

Chas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    This is an educated guess, but it looks like "as.r31.insightbb.com" (without quotes) should be entered in the box under "Web Proxy Server"; enter "8000" (without quotes) in the box following the colon. Enter "*.r31.insightbb.com" (without quotes) in the box that says "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains".
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

This is an educated guess, but it looks like "as.r31.insightbb.com" (without quotes) should be entered in the box under "Web Proxy Server"; enter "8000" (without quotes) in the box following the colon. Enter "*.r31.insightbb.com" (without quotes) in the box that says "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains".

That's what I thought. I'll have to try it again when she gets home from school.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Chas
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You'll need to do it for at least https and maybe the other protocols too.

And you're not "registering" the computer, you're just setting it up to talk with the proxy. They probably provide a set-up wizard for Windows that changes these settings. It's fairly common practice on enterprise or campus networks and nothing to worry about (as long as it's working).