Fortune Mag Likes The New iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=206245"; target="_blank">Their review</a>.

[quote] Is the iMac such a good computer and such a good bargain that it should cause Windows users to switch sides? That isn't a tough call at all. If I used a Windows machine at work, had invested hours learning the Windows operating system, planned to run business applications most of the time, and was simply looking for a home PC to satisfy my left brain, the answer is no way. There are decent PCs available for less money, and I wouldn't have to mess with learning an entirely new operating system. Apple has gotten a lot of mileage out of the "easiest computer to learn to use" label, but in my experience the current "dual OS" setup--the new iMac comes with both the OS X operating system and the previous OS 9, and hops back and forth depending on which applications are run--is much more confusing for new users than Windows XP.

But if all I did was crunch spreadsheets and do PowerPoint presentations, I'd be horribly depressed and would probably buy a Mac anyway as a cheaper and less dangerous midlife alternative to buying a Porsche or a Harley.

The Mac is without question the better platform for gratifying a person's right brain. With innovative programs like iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and iTunes--ay-yi-yi!--the iMac, especially the SuperDrive model, is the best digital hub around for consumers interested in taking and sharing photographs, making their own digital video movies, having fun with digital music, dabbling in desktop publishing, and maybe running the occasional Microsoft Office application.

<hr></blockquote>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    That's a good review and it looks at some flaws, although I don't look at them like that. Thanks for finding the article.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Interesting article. It puts to rest some myths that I actually believed prior to reading it.

For example, the author compares the price of the new iMac to a Dell....and the Dell costs MORE!

[quote]It's impossible to make an exact match of specifications to compare the SuperDrive iMac with competing Windows systems, but I got pretty darned close with a Dell Dimension 4400 desktop. The Dell has a slight edge in hardware and support, while the Apple has better software and aesthetics, but the Dell arrives at the checkout line costing $350 more than the iMac.

<hr></blockquote>

Who wudda thunk?

Some of the conclusions are questionable:

[quote]Is the iMac such a good computer and such a good bargain that it should cause Windows users to switch sides? That isn't a tough call at all. If I used a Windows machine at work, had invested hours learning the Windows operating system, planned to run business applications most of the time, and was simply looking for a home PC to satisfy my left brain, the answer is no way......But if all I did was crunch spreadsheets and do PowerPoint presentations, I'd be horribly depressed <hr></blockquote>

Sorry, but I totally disagree. I spend plenty of time in Powerpoint and Excel, and the Mac is great for this sort of work. In fact, for presentations, I normally do some illustrations, and Canvas or Illustrator are excellent tools, and they work better on a Mac. A friend of mine does all of their presentations using Canvas, thus totally avoiding the M$ Powerpoint beast, which has so many bugs and pitfalls that a presentation can go south real fast...

Is this a negative?

[quote] What's not to like about the new iMac? For starters, there's the awkwardness of adding additional memory and wireless networking capability from the underside of the base, a procedure that only a proctologist could love. <hr></blockquote>

How many times do you add RAM or an Airport card during the life of an iMac? Yeah, I thought so. It's not fair to criticize it based on something you do once for the entire life of the computer.

But overall, it's a pretty decent article. I like how the author emphasizes the importance of iApps, and he also gives them their due respect by pointing out that each is the best of its class. These are real reasons to buy a Mac, and the author demonstrates that his knowledge of Macs is thorough by discussing these iApps. More than can be said of some other authors, some of who think OS X is based on Linux, and that there are no apps for a Linux based OS X.

All in all a very nice article. If Apple keeps getting reviews like this one, it seems inevitable that they will pick up at least some marketshare this year. Even if 1 out of 100 wintel drones who read this article decides to check out a Mac, it would boost Apple's market share somewhat, no?