64 Bit Power, $1300 price

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
eMachines releases AMD 64 Bit equipped Athlon XP 3200+ mcahine with some impressive specs. Check it out link.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah......

eMachines.......

mmmmm.....

yeah................

Straight from Office Space.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Hewpaq already has a $1300 Athlon 64, so eMachines isn't even the first, by almost a month.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    and it is not 64 bit power... it is a 64 bit chip running 32bit code... windows
  • Reply 4 of 19
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

and it is not 64 bit power... it is a 64 bit chip running 32bit code... windows

Good point. If the OS isn't marginally 64 bit, then the programs sure aren't 64 bit.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Panther isn't 64 bit either (but with some 64bit like kernel)
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Panther isn't 64 bit either (but with some 64bit like kernel)

True, but Panther rocks Windows' world. We'll see a 64 bit Mac OS long before we see anything even close to that from the Wintell world. Longhorn is 32 bit, if I'm not mistaken. And we won't even see that until 2007.

And about that eMachine, again, the Wintell world playing catchup to Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

True, but Panther rocks Windows' world. We'll see a 64 bit Mac OS long before we see anything even close to that from the Wintell world. Longhorn is 32 bit, if I'm not mistaken. And we won't even see that until 2007.

And about that eMachine, again, the Wintell world playing catchup to Macs.

Well it would be really nice if Apple would "catch up" in getting a clue and not selling say professional towers with 256 megs of RAM when you are shelling out $1800+. I can understand scrimping on the low end machines, but the low end G5 tower is supposed to be a professional machine and Apple ships it with 256.

I'm not a total spec whore, but Apple has done this ram bullshit for a long time.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

And we won't even see that until 2007.

you mean in 2008?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You can get a more 64 Bit Power for $1500: The new Powermac G5 1.6, sans Superdrive.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

You can get a more 64 Bit Power for $1500: The new Powermac G5 1.6, sans Superdrive.

wow - 2 posts - same second :-)
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

you mean in 2008?

Yea, I was talking about the Beta version of Longhorn, we won't see a production version till at least 2008

And to trumptman: Your right, I think even the 1.6 needs to ship with more ram than it does. These machines are way too high end to only have 256mb, thats not even close to enough to do what Apple claims that they are capable of.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

you mean in 2008?

Wow ... your quite the optimist.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Well, 64 bit really just means it can handle more memory right?

but if the OS isn't 64 bit enabled at all, even if you had 8 gigs of RAM, you'd only be able to use 4?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    eMachines, I shutter at the thought of them. There a good cheap pc to use for like probably file stoarge. I don't know, there cheap cheap cheap
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Well, 64 bit really just means it can handle more memory right?

but if the OS isn't 64 bit enabled at all, even if you had 8 gigs of RAM, you'd only be able to use 4?

There are tricks to access more than 4GB of ram on a 32 bit machine. Virtual memory and so forth. A single program may have a hard time accessing beyond 4GB, but most recent 32bit machines can handle more than 4BG of physical RAM. In fact a lot of mid-size servers and such already have that much or more.

64 bit-ness does have the nice effect of making these tricks unnecessary for the rest of any of our lives.

-Spyky
  • Reply 16 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK I've had it with ignorant people (mostly journalists not people here) bitching about Panther not being 64-bit, and I know you were likely playing Devil's Advocate, but for the benefit of others perhaps: Panther can access more than 4 gigs of RAM. In fact as Ast3r3x posted you can buy 32 GIGS of RAM for a G5. That is the whole point of 64 bit, at least for most people, that it can access more RAM, because soon apps will need it. The tech media is so stupid and likes to jump at Apple for the dumbest things. </rant>

Quote:

Well it would be really nice if Apple would "catch up" in getting a clue and not selling say professional towers with 256 megs of RAM when you are shelling out $1800+. I can understand scrimping on the low end machines, but the low end G5 tower is supposed to be a professional machine and Apple ships it with 256.

I'm not a total spec whore, but Apple has done this ram bullshit for a long time.

Nick

Right on!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Heh, i'd prefer the opposite. I'd rather have Apple sell me a machine with no RAM included for them to mark-up.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    the dual G5s (with 8 RAM slots) can theoretically address 18 Exabytes of RAM

thats 18 Billion Billion bytes.

Quote:

Boger was keen to point out that the G5's 64-bit architecture is not merely double that of the previous 32-bit chip builds. As 32-bit means 2 to the power of 32, and 64-bit means 2 to the power of 64, the new architecture is actually 4.3 billion times as expandable.

For example, although Apple states the maximum memory of the top-end Power Mac G5 as 8GB, it could - if the DIMMs existed - stretch to an almost unthinkable 18 exabytes (a billion billion bytes). 1 exabyte equals 1,024 petabytes. 1 petabyte is [1,024 terabytes] or a quadrillion bytes. [1 terabyte is 1,024 gigabytes.]

18 exabytes is a hell of a lot of RAM!

Boger claimed that if memory requirements doubled every year, the G5's 64-bit architecture would still support our needs in 32 years.

source
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Can individual apps address more then 2 GB RAM though?

I know that this was a limitation when the G5s were released (10.2.8 ).

There are a few scientific applications that could really do with this capability...