That darn unilateralist Dean!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dean on steel

Pretty simple really. Why is Bush, when he acts without U.N. approval a terrible "unilateralist" who is "destroying the good will of the U.S. around the world."

Meanwhile Dean, who would keep these steel tariffs in place isn't a unilateralist(supposedly). Even though practically the entire EU and more filed against them via the World Trade Organization. Are we to believe that when the WTO rules not only that the tariffs are wrong, but that the U.S. government is propping up the industry, that someone who defies it is acting multilaterally and generating good will around the world? It appears Dean would have tried to start a trade war by risking billions in retaliatory tariffs.

So tell me all you defenders of multilateralism and world organizations, how do you defend Dean's actions? Why is it okay for him to defy the WTO, the EU and more just to save a few American jobs over jobs in other countries.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Why should I defend his stance on this? Bad policy

When I hear the words "fair trade" I always pay good attention. 2/3 of the time its vaguely hidden protectionism. Thats my greatest disagreement with Kucinich. Its almost as bad when someone say (like one of the democrat candidates did the other day) "Why are we building fire stations in Baghdad when we don´t do it in America?"
  • Reply 2 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Why should I defend his stance on this? Bad policy

When I hear the words "fair trade" I always pay good attention. 2/3 of the time its vaguely hidden protectionism. Thats my greatest disagreement with Kucinich. Its almost as bad when someone say (like one of the democrat candidates did the other day) "Why are we building fire stations in Baghdad when we don´t do it in America?"

If you believe Bush and Dean then at least you are consistant.

As for what you say for fair trade, I hear it when people say fair tax. That is why I don't advocate high taxes or big government. There is ALWAYS a boondoggle in there for someone. The only way to avoid it is to have government do the least amount necessary.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I hear it when people say fair tax.

Fair tax.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    *Awaits the onslaught of similarly ridiculous trumptman threads on Dean*

"Dean's a baby killer!"
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

"Dean's a baby killer!"

Hey, didn't you know...Dean gave them filthy gays and lesbos rights! Animal. He should be thrown in jail.

Dean's own Vermont liberals complained he was too conservative! How dare they steal Republican's right to brand liberals. Asshole Dean!

Also, Dean had the audacity to balance his budget for every one of his terms as Governor. How dare he! Doesn't this idiot know he was supposed to create the largest run up of debt in Vermont history. Lazy bastard!

And he's married to a JEW! (gasp!, shock!, cover children's eyes!) He wants to legitimize terrorists and give special concessions to Palestinians! Charlatan!

Pitchforks and torches! Pitchforks and torches!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

"Dean's a baby killer!"

So basically what you are saying it that it is okay for Dean to thumb his nose at the EU, the WTO and act unilaterally against the decisions of such groups.

Of course the only reason he could ignore them is because American might makes it right so it must be okay.

Nick
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Hey, didn't you know...Dean gave them filthy gays and lesbos rights! Animal. He should be thrown in jail.

Dean's own Vermont liberals complained he was too conservative! How dare they steal Republican's right to brand liberals. Asshole Dean!

Also, Dean had the audacity to balance his budget for every one of his terms as Governor. How dare he! Doesn't this idiot know he was supposed to create the largest run up of debt in Vermont history. Lazy bastard!

And he's married to a JEW! (gasp!, shock!, cover children's eyes!) He wants to legitimize terrorists and give special concessions to Palestinians! Charlatan!

Pitchforks and torches! Pitchforks and torches!

You do know that Dean's position is Cheney's right? You also know that one of Cheney's children is homosexual.

So set up the strawman to knock down. Keep attacking those windmills.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 10
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Bush's opinion isn't the same as Cheney's.

Should Cheney get a medal?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

So basically what you are saying it that it is okay for Dean to thumb his nose at the EU, the WTO and act unilaterally against the decisions of such groups.

Of course the only reason he could ignore them is because American might makes it right so it must be okay.

Nick

I for one and let me repeat this carefiully,,,,, (for one) meaning it is hard to find members with integrity here on the boards,, think it is wrong.

I don't care who does the talking, Bush or Dean.

Now nick I then have to ask you since when did you care about the concerns of the EU?

Fellowship
  • Reply 10 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    enough dean threads, there is one already : post here