Netstat has possessed my CPU

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have recently just started playing around with Konfabulator again (I love the weather thingy). I like to have a CPU monitor running because I have noticed periodically processes will go spinning out of control, and I notice this easier with a CPU monitor running.

I have noticed that netstat seems to be a culprit - it will, seemingly randomly, go and consume nearly 100% of 1 processor until I kill it (it respawns and sits there quietly like a good little process - presumably quite embarrassed for its outburst).

So what does netstat do? Anyone else seen this problem? I am on 10.3.1 on a dual G5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

I have recently just started playing around with Konfabulator again (I love the weather thingy). I like to have a CPU monitor running because I have noticed periodically processes will go spinning out of control, and I notice this easier with a CPU monitor running.

I have noticed that netstat seems to be a culprit - it will, seemingly randomly, go and consume nearly 100% of 1 processor until I kill it (it respawns and sits there quietly like a good little process - presumably quite embarrassed for its outburst).

So what does netstat do? Anyone else seen this problem? I am on 10.3.1 on a dual G5.

Netstat is a utility for monitoring network status. It's a great tool to use when trying to solve problems with routing and open ports.

If you open a terminal and type in man netstat you will get the full explanation.

I use netstat -rn - tells me about all the routes (specially the default)

I also like netstat -a | grep <portnumber> to see if some deamond is hold a port open.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by sroach

Netstat is a utility for monitoring network status. It's a great tool to use when trying to solve problems with routing and open ports.

So what does the system use it for? Would it use it when it needs to renew at DHCP lease? Or maybe it is involved with ipfw?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have noticed this behavior happening a bit more than before. It seems to start on wake from sleep - I will look down and my CPU meter is pegged at over 50% while I am just looking at the desktop (I have a Dual so Netstat is consuming one whole processor).

No one else has seen this?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    It sometimes happened to my 12" rev A powerbook. I don't think it's the Netstat, even if it seems to be. This is because when I killed giFT the CPU went to normal again. So if you are using Poisoned or similar, kill it and see if something changes.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hmmm - yeah I hadn't thought of something like that... The only thing I have which is trying to regularly access the net is Mail, and Konfabulator (and me of course). I might try leaving Konfab off when sleeping, and see if that does anything. Good idea