Xserve related: How long will Apple support 32bit server OS ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
so how long do you suppose Apple will support a 32 bit server OS?

once everything is G5

there is little stopping them from making the move to full 64 bit OS.

how long do you think Apple will support a 32 bit version of the server OS?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Probably until they release the xServer G5! lol, probably beginning of 2004
  • Reply 2 of 4
    There is still quite a few people using OSX server on a 32-bit platform ... everyone who curently uses a Xserve today for example let alone the people who use it on G4 towers... So apple would be cutting them all off... A full 64 bit OS will come when the demand is there not when they 'can'.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    i suspect they will support it for several years. there'd be a lot of po'd osx-server admins if they suddenly were not supported. i think you probably won't be able to buy it (without deliberately looking for it), in like 6 months, and like a 1.5 years after that, they'll put a note somewhere saying "soon we won't support this at all". maybe even longer than 2 years. ms supported win95 until '01, and 98 until just recently. i imagine apple will do similarly.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Where did this impetus come from to bury anything that looks 32 bit? Apple can engineer OS X Server to speak both dialects, as appropriate, and ship Server that way. It's not that much more work.

The real issue is not whether OS X Server is "pure" 64 bit, it's whether it supports 64-bit robustly. It can do that without dropping support for 32 bit code, so it should.

Even if Apple dropped the G4 Xserve tomorrow, their customers would be surprised to hear that they were dropping support for those machines any time soon. Not only that, but their application developers, still giddy over their ability to install Server on their PowerBooks and do all their work over lattés in Starbucks, would be not best pleased to be chained to the server room and the LAN again.