iBook powered by IBM?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With all the buzz being generated on AppleInsider by its reports of an IBM powered iBook. What do you think is the probability and possible timeline for such a product. I really really want one! ANY INFOR WOULD BE GREAT!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Late 2004
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by macaddict74

With all the buzz being generated on AppleInsider by its reports of an IBM powered iBook. What do you think is the probability and possible timeline for such a product. I really really want one! ANY INFOR WOULD BE GREAT!

Uh... As far as I know, the iBook has (until recently) always been powered by an IBM 750 PowerPC of one kind or another

Unless you mean the much-rumored 750VX, Altivec-enhanced 'Mojave'... If the rumors are correct, it should start at 1.8GHz, which is a bit much for an iBook for a while. It should appear in Apple's line up (eMacs/iMacs maybe? If the PowerBooks are at G5...) by late 2004; I doubt the iBook would go above 1.33 GHz by then (clear out the last of the Motorola inventory).

I'm interested in what ever happened to those 750GX Gobi chips; I was under the impression they were supposed to come between the 750FX and 750VX... Prime candidate for the G3 iBook... Anyone want to enlighten me as to what happened?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Get ready for an update to the PB G4 AL 15" to 1.33GHz and the 17" to 1.47GHz first before anything else.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

Get ready for an update to the PB G4 AL 15" to 1.33GHz and the 17" to 1.47GHz first before anything else.

you mean 1.42ghz for the 17"

(hint: 167 * 8.5 = ~1420)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    The sooner Moto is out of the picture, the better.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

The sooner Moto is out of the picture, the better.

I think when Moto is dropped, so will the prices on Apple's products.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think when Moto is dropped, so will the prices on Apple's products.

I think you think too much.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    No, I mean 11x 133MHz ~= 1466 MHz ~= 1.47GHz

Which leaves me wondering, why a 133MHz bus would be used. Then again it's not my claim, but a source's and may as well be bogus.

I think the fact that another update is expected is the interesting point, not the speed bump itself, which is meager anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Apple would not use a 133mhz bus. Not much more to say about that. The current 17" PB is set at 166 * 8 = 1328 or 1.33ghz so I see no point in downgrading the bus.

I call a fake source.