LCD eMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It's not a secret to said that the emac need a serious update.

The current screen of the emac is not perfect, and lack of reliability if i believe the advices published about it on different forums.

I think it will be a good move from Apple if they do an LCD i mac.

In this way there will be two desktop consumer line :

the emac

the imac with his magic arm.

A 15 inch emac, will be less expansive, but the resolution will be limited to only 1024 per 768. I think that 1280 per 1024 are more adapted with mac os X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    15" LCD panels have gone up in price in recent months. Demand is outstripping supply. No chance that the eMac will go this route. Remember the eMac was originally for education. There will definately be a revision of the case in the near future. Right now schools are mostly buying iBooks, but those that are buying desktops are usually getting eMacs. A school district recently bought about 400 of 'em. Sales have been very good. Consumers are more interested, as you say, in LCD but Apple does offer such a computer.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

It's not a secret to said that the emac need a serious update.

The current screen of the emac is not perfect, and lack of reliability if i believe the advices published about it on different forums.

I think it will be a good move from Apple if they do an LCD i mac.

In this way there will be two desktop consumer line :

the emac

the imac with his magic arm.

A 15 inch emac, will be less expansive, but the resolution will be limited to only 1024 per 768. I think that 1280 per 1024 are more adapted with mac os X.

What would be the difference between the eMac and the iMac? The "magic arm" as you put it really seems to be the only way to take advantage of an LCD in a AIO. The other way is what Gateway did with the Profile 5 Series, which is rather ugly and not elegant. The eMac shape, like the 15" CRT iMac, occurs because you use a CRT with a computer in the base. What would a eMac LCD look like? It would have to look something like the FP iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Not. Gonna. Happen.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    You say that, but I believe it is only a matter of time before the eMac gets a significant design revision and that it will include an LCD.

When? Eventually. Give it another year. Tops.

An iMac2 design? Nope. An LCD monitor that sits on a Pizza box? Maybe. What's more. This could be a 'headless' business Mac concept to drive on Apple's push into Enterprise and further school contracts.

That would leave the iMac3 to dissolve into a semi-Cube concept. Which would make more sense in the mid-range than the rather limited iMac2.

It really depends on where Apple is going with the iMac 3.

The iMac2 is expensive. Apple haven't managed to drive the price down like the original iMac (unless you count the eMac as proof of concept...?) It makes sense they have thrown in the towel and will redesign it using cheaper (but equally as eye-catching...) components.

The iMac 3 may drop down into the eMac's price range. Leaving single G5 towers where the current G4 towers are.

What this means for the eMac? A headless re-think, I hope!

I can't wait 'til June 2004...to see how the Apple desktop line pans out...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

The current screen of the eMac is beautiful, and the machine is super-reliable.

As I type this, quartz extreme snow is falling at 30 frames per second across my desktop.

This is the best computer I have ever owned.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    An LCD eMac would basically be an iMac.

Why bother?

Quote:

I beg to differ, at least with mine.

Mine had a blur problem.

Had an analog board and a CRT replaced. Was in the shop for like 3 weeks.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

As I type this, quartz extreme snow is falling at 30 frames per second across my desktop.

This is the best computer I have ever owned.

um...no. it really isn't.

none of apple's CRT all-in-ones have been all that reliable.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

So he's lying, 'nut? HE'S happy with it. It's working for him and it's gorgeous to him. That should be good enough for you.

• Reply 9 of 10
    The CRT eMac still has a vital role in the education market, particularly the K-8 market (kindergarten through jr. high or middle school). Have any of you looked at what software is used in elementary schools today? Lots of it is years old (Reader Rabbit, Math Blaster, Type to Learn) but still quite useful for kids. However, it is frequently optimized for 800x600 resolution.

Ever try running 800x600 optimized software on an LCD screen? The visual superiority of an LCD disappears pretty fast at that resolution.

Ever see how elementary school kids interact with a computer? They point - not with a mouse but with a finger. Or a pencil, or a pen, or a pair of safety scissors, or an indelible marking pen. Hey, they're kids - it's their job. The eMac has a relatively impervious screen that will continue to work perfectly after a "situation" that would leave an LCD display in the "to be repaired" pile.

If you were purchasing computers for elementary school students, would you chools a fragile display that fails to optimally display the software your students are using, or would you go with the more durable solution that meets your needs and costs less?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I guess it would be wishful thinking, but I would rather see a G5 eMac rather than an LCD. javascript:smilie('')