Presidential Race & AO

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Just wondering if the Apple Outsider section may sprout a "relief valve" section for the 2004 US Presidential Campaign, much as the "Temporary Insanity" section is brought online during the lead-up to Macworld. I can't remember if we were Active or in the Blackout during the last race for the Presidency. If we were active, the political discussions were most certainly handled in Fireside Chat.

I'm in the "FC should permanently return" camp, but even if it doesn't come back for good, a temporary section might prove useful.

just a thought

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Nah, let it implode and crumble under its own snide and snotty weight, sure to be brought on by the nearing election.

HOWARD DEAN FOR DOGCATCHER
  • Reply 2 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Well i expect that the number of posts about the presidential races, will not explode.

US people will be full of the presidential race, they may expect something different to discuss on AO. Of course i am dreaming ...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I'm gonna have to agree with drewprops on this one in suggesting another forum for people to flame...er...rather, post regarding the political races. Some of the threads in AO get out of hand, and the political threads seem to be the worst. Someone is going to end up getting killed in there, and it aint gonna be pretty.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    yeah, I'm for that other forum thing too.

but not at AI. we're a board for computers for chrissakes!

those who want to discuss damn politics should go to another forum.

eh?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

yeah, I'm for that other forum thing too.

but not at AI. we're a board for computers for chrissakes!

those who want to discuss damn politics should go to another forum.

eh?

Then why have AO in the first place?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Then why have AO in the first place?

Good question.

We will try to limit the numbers of these threads. I think i am going to turn into a bloody locking moderator.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    or you can just PM brad and ask him to make AO invisible to you...i have and it is great...

as someone above mentioned, this is a computer forum...so i came here to read about apple news and talk to apple people...why i ever went to AO is beyond me, but i am much happier here with AO not even showing on my screen...

AO is kind of an impossible place...no one ever changes anybodies minds there...just, seems to me, to be rants with little compassion...it can quickly bring out your worse side...too bad though...i liked reading what music groverat was listening to...

basically it came down to i was having digital conversations with people i would never hang out with in "real" life...and i am sure they would never hang out with me either...

there probably is a reason why we choose the folks we love and care about...

thanks brad for making AO dissappear for me...now i can pretend that it doesn't exist and sleep happy in my deluded liberal sleep

g
  • Reply 8 of 16
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

or you can just PM brad and ask him to make AO invisible to you...i have and it is great...

as someone above mentioned, this is a computer forum...so i came here to read about apple news and talk to apple people...why i ever went to AO is beyond me, but i am much happier here with AO not even showing on my screen...

AO is kind of an impossible place...no one ever changes anybodies minds there...just, seems to me, to be rants with little compassion...it can quickly bring out your worse side...too bad though...i liked reading what music groverat was listening to...

basically it came down to i was having digital conversations with people i would never hang out with in "real" life...and i am sure they would never hang out with me either...

there probably is a reason why we choose the folks we love and care about...

thanks brad for making AO dissappear for me...now i can pretend that it doesn't exist and sleep happy in my deluded liberal sleep

g

I always enjoyed your posts on AO, and was very sorry to see you go. I considered you to be a thoughtful and well-reasoned (and entertaining) contributor. But if you were not enjoying it, I understand why you left.

At one point this past summer, I was getting angry with AO as well, but then I decided to relax about it. I still post my political views, but I don?t take disagreement ? even extreme disagreement ? personally. Sometimes people are just blowing off steam. I try to look beyond the steam and consider their ideas.

And I guess that I do disagree with you about the underlying value of AO. I think that it is important and productive to exchange ideas. And while it may not be obvious that people are changing their minds, I do think that there is an educative function in informing yourself about other views and that, in the long term, this can lead to greater understanding that does, in subtle (and sometimes not subtle) ways lead to modification of viewpoints and better politics. (Also, there is lots on AO beyond politics)

And while this is ? and should remain ? a computer forum, people also have lives beyond computers and the type of people on AI in the first place make AO a particularly interesting forum.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    oh, chinney, i agree that is important to discuss opposing views...and in real life i can do that quite well...and i can even often like the guy or gal that i disagree with...

but in AO the personnal touch of seeing someone, of reading their body language, of seeing how they react and just seeing them as "human" gets lost...

it is partial a fault of mine and also a fault of this electronic interface...but without looking into someones eyes i can not always "feel" them...

plus people will act and say things electronically that they would never do or say in person...

it got so that all i saw was the hate, not the love

all i saw was unbending

not give and take

and i should have been stronger, but it is a weakness in me that i think of everybody as loving and caring and i forget that some may be loving and caring, but about such different things...

maybe i am just getting old...i no longer think i can change the world, so instead i just want to make the world around me as nice as possible...without hurting others, i mostly focus on my family and friends...i'll let the universe expand and suns explode and tread lightly on the earth that one day will have my ashes spread across it

g
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

oh, chinney, i agree that is important to discuss opposing views...and in real life i can do that quite well...and i can even often like the guy or gal that i disagree with...

but in AO the personnal touch of seeing someone, of reading their body language, of seeing how they react and just seeing them as "human" gets lost...

it is partial a fault of mine and also a fault of this electronic interface...but without looking into someones eyes i can not always "feel" them...

plus people will act and say things electronically that they would never do or say in person...

it got so that all i saw was the hate, not the love

all i saw was unbending

not give and take

and i should have been stronger, but it is a weakness in me that i think of everybody as loving and caring and i forget that some may be loving and caring, but about such different things...

maybe i am just getting old...i no longer think i can change the world, so instead i just want to make the world around me as nice as possible...without hurting others, i mostly focus on my family and friends...i'll let the universe expand and suns explode and tread lightly on the earth that one day will have my ashes spread across it

g

Thanks for the explanation...but I must say your explanation only underlines to me why you were a good contributor to AO.

It is nice to see your posts on the rest of AI though. Great to have you still around, in one capacity or another.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Thanks for the explanation...but I must say your explanation only underlines to me why you were a good contributor to AO.

It is nice to see your posts on the rest of AI though. Great to have you still around, in one capacity or another.

thank you kindly....

because of you (and maybe also murbot for calling me a pus*y for having AO blanked out) i have asked brad to "reappear" AO for me...

i will move cautiously toward it and i make few no promises that it will last long on my screen...election years are not a nice time in AO...the two party system pretty much ensures that 50% of the USA will dislike the other 50%...

g
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

thank you kindly....

because of you (and maybe also murbot for calling me a pus*y for having AO blanked out) i have asked brad to "reappear" AO for me...

i will move cautiously toward it and i make few no promises that it will last long on my screen...election years are not a nice time in AO...the two party system pretty much ensures that 50% of the USA will dislike the other 50%...

g

Welcome back!

The hot air and steam is still there, of course [warning!], but I am still of the view that there is quite a bit of substance - enjoyable and informative substance (and also a fair bit of enjoyable nonsense) - among the hot air and steam.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

g

HAHA. So true. Welcome back to AO too. Good to see people coming back. Look foreword to seeing your posts in there in the future.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

thank you kindly....

g

Welcome back to AO, if anybody is not kind with you, he will taste my bloody mace
  • Reply 15 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If anything FH is the place to avoid here. The current insanity inn AO is nothing compared to the insanity in FH two weeks from now.

Hope you´ll have happy days in the AO mosh pit thegelding
  • Reply 16 of 16
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    You know, the FH thing never got that bad this time!

But watch AppleFireSideChatOutsider as New Hampshire draws closer!!

Aiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!