Audio MIDI Setup

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I posted this in the Genius Bar, but I thought I'd also post it here, since it is part of OS X and it might pick up some more useful traffic.

2 questions about Audio MIDI Setup.

1) I put a bunch of jpegs in the Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/Generic/Images folder, but they don't show up. Should I try and convert these jpegs to tiffs? If so, how?

2) Does anybody know of a good site where I can find pictures of keyboards and rack equipment (obviously I'm looking for images of gear that I already own) to put into my Audio MIDI setup file?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Should I try and convert these jpegs to tiffs? If so, how?

You can save a jpg as a tif by opening the file in Preview and selecting export from the file menu. From the Format drop down menu, you can choose from a few different formats to save the file as.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ennerseed

You can save a jpg as a tif by opening the file in Preview and selecting export from the file menu. From the Format drop down menu, you can choose from a few different formats to save the file as.

Thanks ennerseed - I did that and it worked. Much appreciated

Btw, what is the diff b/n a gif and a tiff anyway?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If you place a new .tiff image in the generic folder, it might not show up (in the icon preview window) when you go to replace your old icon - it might just show up as an empty space. Make sure that you mouse click around that empty space (within the icon preview window) - you will eventually find the custom tiff that you placed within the generic folder (don't ask me why it shows up as a blank space - try to keep your images size small - under 100kb per tiff). I'm assuming that you know that you have to point and click on your old icon to edit it within the midi/audio set up program...

• Reply 4 of 4
    Here is a shot of my set up. If you are looking for icons, just go to the web sites that your hardware comes from, and download images, crop them, and export them as small tiff files (and place then in your HD/Library/Audio/Midi Devices/Generic folder). That M-Audio icon still does not show up in the icon preview window, but it is there (again, it occupies a completely blank space within the preview window, alphbetically correct to where it should within the icons as well). I guess I just found a bug in 10.2.8... God I want Panther.....

Maybe Santa will bring...