University of Texas at Austin Dorm Networks

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, i was wondering if any one here is from the university of texas at austin and lives in the dorms could help me.

Do you know how to browse the networks that run through the dorms? I have no clue how to see my roommate's computer on the network and the ITS department doesn't know how to do this either. I know this is possible because my roommate can see other people's computers on his local network, but i can't even see the Zeus server (I think this is the dorm's public server). Any help is welcome.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Under Panther:

On the Finder.. Go menu..Connect to Server...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    i tried that a long time ago and it doesn't work. it doesn't seem to search the network or see it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what os do you have?

have you played with the "network" icon in the sidebar (running panther)

windows networking is still pretty bad in panther... if that doesnt work.... it wont...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    yeah, i have played around with the network icon in the sidebar (I use panther). What i sometimes see is two other computers (my best result so far) that have folder icons but the folders don't contain anything.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    try leaving the network "folder" open for like 20 hours or so... i think the problem has to do with the fact that it just takes a long time to build the list...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ask the computer center and/or current students. there is more of a chance that you find someone who knows how to do this there than on an apple website.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

try leaving the network "folder" open for like 20 hours or so... i think the problem has to do with the fact that it just takes a long time to build the list...

hmm.. i might try that. Thanks.