changing default (login window) keyboard layout

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I set up an old iMac for my Mom, but I had to replace the HD. When I did, I just copied my old one using Carbon Copy Cloner. This'll be nice when I go home for Christmas so that I can continue to work on my stuff. However, I use Dvorak as my main keyboard layout and I want her to use the standard USA keyboard layout. When I first installed the OS, it asked for what layout I wanted to use, now I don't know how to change it. The only reason I really want this is so that the login window will be the standard layout. I know that once she logs in her settings will take over. If you could help me, that would be great.

Thanks,

Alexander the Great

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Could somebody move this to Genius Bar? That's where I meant it to go.

Thanks,

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 2 of 5
    You need to launch system preference as the root user. I've had to do exactly this for the same reasons. I'll google for the instructions I followed and post them in a mo.

There's a thread here: http://forums.macosxhints.com/showth...&threadid=9872

which basically says do this in the terminal

Code:

sudo /Applications/System\\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/System\\ Preferences &

Do that, change the keyboard then log out and log back in. (The thread later claims this won't work but I'm reasonably sure that's what I did. There's a suggested workaround anyway if you have trouble.)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    To the bar with you!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thank you very much, it worked great. The '&' at the end messed up me entering my password, but when I entered it without it, everything worked as expected.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 5 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    or you could just make her password only numbers...

then the layout doesnt matter and you dont have to play with root...