Survivor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is this show just old news or do some people here enjoy it? I must admit, I was never really a fan of these "reality TV shows", but I was hooked by good ol' Johnny Fairplay! What an entertaining rogue/prick!

Also, quite happy that Sandra won.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I watched the first Survivor series, way back when, but did not like any of the other series. I got hooked on this past one, however. They had a good range of interesting personalities and some interesting exchanges between them. Like you, I am not a fan of 'reality tv', or most tv in general, but this one worked.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That dead Grandma gag was freakin hilarious. I watched that part a couple of times during the wrap up show and couldn't believe how well the little bastard lied.

Made me jealous.

• Reply 3 of 5
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I am the forum Survivor freak. My wife is so sad when it is finished because it is the only hour of television I watch each week. I might periodically browse channels and catch something, but that is the only show I actually look forward to and watch.

The best part about Survivor is that it is always changing, but stays enough the same to follow. Also that it disappears for months at a time and is pretty much never in reruns. It's not high art, but it is good entertainment.

I also find it quite interesting to see how the weak (physically) find ways to take down the strong pretty much every time. The prototypical strong, white male has won exactly one time and the show constantly finds ways to insure that people have to use more than muscle to get ahead. In some ways it is really interesting to see some of the "trends" that emerge in this show.

One of the final challenges is almost always someone sort of endurance challenge with regard to standing on something, balancing on something or remaining still on something. There is usually some weaker, usually older woman who has made it along as part of a voting alliance who almost always crushes the younger stronger men in these challenges. It is an entirely different type of strength that they seem to have in abundance. This time it was Lil whipping up on Johnny Fairplay, but in the last Survivor it was a bathing suit model whipping all over a squared jawed rich jock who had climbed K2 or something of that nature.

The show is very interesting to me. Too popular, (Rupert) too strong, too loud, or pretty much too anything and you could be gone.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Never watched an episode---when I first heard of the show, all I could think about was Richard Dawson and Ahnold in Running Man.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

That dead Grandma gag was freakin hilarious. I watched that part a couple of times during the wrap up show and couldn't believe how well the little bastard lied.

Made me jealous.

As bad as that was, you gotta hand it to him: Johnny Fairplay could read people really well. He was arrogant and flaunted the rules to his advantage whenever possible, but he sure knew his body language signals and how to manipulate people in power play struggles.

Fascinating (and yes, freakin hilarious) to observe!