What will Apple produce for the 20th Anniversary Mac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'll bet it will be a headless iMac.

That is a machine with a wireless/tablet screen (15") and Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    The original mac was cool because it was an all in one; it was the simplicity of the design that carried it and made it special. Follow with this the Mac Classics, the iMac, and the former 20th Anniversary mac. They were all All-In-Ones. If Apple were to build another anniversary machine, and I don't see it happening for this 20th, I highly doubt it would be headless.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I like the idea. Apple producing something compelling for the 20th anniv'.



    Something radical. Forward thinking. A dockable display would be a great 'new new iMac'. With remote viewing from the display (watch movies/play music in bed...on the go around house/business offices...iChat...pen input?)



    Something is missing from iMac2.



    I'm guessing that Apple will address that with iMac3.



    Something that...



    Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,248member
    I am not sure if celebrating anniversaries is S. Jobs style. And with the recent trend in Apple to stay away from festivities and shows, I highly doubt they would produce an anniversary machine.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Having already produced a "20th Anniversary Macintosh" I don't think we'll see a machine in January. SJ might acknowledge that the Mac began 20 years ago, but the next "anniversary machine" probably won't be for another 5 years, if then.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CosmoNut

    Having already produced a "20th Anniversary Macintosh" I don't think we'll see a machine in January. SJ might acknowledge that the Mac began 20 years ago, but the next "anniversary machine" probably won't be for another 5 years, if then.



    The TAM was produced in 1997, right? Now I'm not hep to these "anniversary substances" but they could make a "Silver Anniversary Macintosh" (SAM).



    I agree with LoCash that it would be an AIO. It would probably be an LCD iMac taken to the logical limit - with excellent speakers, enhanced case, keyboard etc.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I always said id like to see a concept line. Like a line that was basically prototype case designs that would never have made it to mass market products





    The thing is, you know Apple has come up with some crazy shit in the last few years that will never see the light of day because it probably just wasn't practical and a bit too daring.



    I'd love to see them pic from that crop and release a limited run. The TAM failed at the time but everything about it was wrong including the market at the time. Apple is strong now and many people would jump even on an overpriced one time deal....as long as it was cool enough
  • Reply 7 of 11
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rmendis

    I'll bet it will be a headless iMac.

    That is a machine with a wireless/tablet screen (15") and Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse.




    I say a 20 inch iMac with a G5 chip, a 200 GB HD and a price of $2000.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by applenut

    Apple is strong now and many people would jump even on an overpriced one time deal....as long as it was cool enough



    Unfortunately, this is exactly the line of logic that has made Apple shoot themselves in the foot time and time and time again.



    They should keep their feet on the ground and their eyes on the numbers. If Apple decides to commemorate this occasion, I hope they do it by releasing a kick-ass iMac. Maybe if it's 970 based they can run some line about "taking the personal computer into the next century" or something.



    They should not lose sight of why they're strong now, though. The Mac is the computer for the rest of us. A machine that celebrates the Mac should epitomize that goal IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    It's more likely to be a 20th Anniversary iPod.



    Seems like the iPod is the product that Joe Public associates with Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Messiah

    It's more likely to be a 20th Anniversary iPod.



    Seems like the iPod is the product that Joe Public associates with Apple.




    I think this is the 20th anniversary of the macintosh, not apple. So the anniversary product should be a computer/accessory that is specific to the Mac.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

    Originally posted by anand

    I say a 20 inch iMac with a G5 chip, a 200 GB HD and a price of $2000.



    How about no. Not ever going to happen. Would be sweet, but...no way.
Sign In or Register to comment.