Can Applecare Be transferred?

dcbdcb
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
To make a long story short...my iBook is no more and I am getting a Powerbook. After talking with Applecare, I was told that I can request a refund for the unused Applecare (2 Years and about 4 months remain). I don't feel like waiting on hold for another 20 minutes - so I am asking you guys...

Does anyone know if applecare is transferrable between people. In other words, can I give or sell the unused portion to another iBook owner? I have transferred applecare from onw computer to another, so I don't see why not.

If anyone is interested and it is possibe to trade it, I will give you a hell of a deal! Especially if if you take the time to find out the process if it is possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    I thought the AppleCare that you purchased stayed with the computer it was purchased for. I'm not so sure if you can transfer it to somebody else's computer.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dcbdcb Posts: 6member
    I am still uncertain. Like I said...I did transfer this Applecare from one computer to another...but I suppose that was a unique situation.

I can get a refund...but I had so much work done on my iBook, I wouldn't get a dime back. Unless...hmmmm - new question. Do you think I could claim that all of my repairs were done in the 1st year and were covered by Apple's one year limited warranty instead of applecare?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Well, I can't get a str8 answer from apple. I have called three different times and I get a different answer each and every time. The only thing I am certain of is that I can get a refund...but if they say that the work done was through applecare and not the 1 year warranty...I am screwed out of $250.00. Has anyone ever recieved a refund for applecare?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    it should stay with the computer it was purchased with.

i;ve heard more than once that once you sell your mac you would not be able to sell the apple care with it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

it should stay with the computer it was purchased with.

i;ve heard more than once that once you sell your mac you would not be able to sell the apple care with it.

Well, You can sell applecare with the same mac. I know that for a fact and all of the apple people told me that.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    When you sell your Mac, you can transfer AppleCare to the new buyer.

AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions

I have no experience with actually using AppleCare, but if your repairs were done in the first year they should be considered to have been done under that one year warranty, and NOT AppleCare. It specifically says in that PDF that your coverage for defect begins on the date your Covered Equipment's Apple hardware warranty expires. AppleCare is technically not used until day #366.