USB to Ethernet Print Server?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need a USB to Ethernet Print Server device to share my Epson C40 USB 1.1 printer on my LAN. I want to connect the USB printer to a USB to Ethernet adapter/server device, so the printer can interface with my LAN switch, thus all 5 of my computers (OS 9, OS X, Windows 2K, and Linux) can print to it at nytime. I did have a print server running on my OS X Mac, but sometimes it is not running, and then none of my other computers can print until I boot it. I want 24/7 printer access.

Ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There are a bunch here

Hope the link works... \
  • Reply 2 of 3
    This will not work. USB is not a peer-to-peer system, it requires a computer. Since you don't have a computer in this system it will not work. Plus InkJet printers are rather dumb devices, they do not have the intelligence by themselves to network, or deal with the issues of being a network printer (what happens when multiple people try to use the device at once...).

The solution to your problem is to hook it up to a computer that can then share the printer out. There are also some printer sharing devices that are a small computer, and this get around this. I am looking at a Axentra Rumba server at the moment that would do this (among a great many other things) . Although the demo I have got does not show this in the admin screen, they do advertise SaMBa print sharing.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

This will not work. USB is not a peer-to-peer system, it requires a computer.

Seems they (and Dlink, etc) think it'll work....

NetGear

FWG114P ProSafe 802.11g Wireless Firewall with USB Print Server_

Combination Router, Switch, Print Server, Wireless Access Point, and Firewall Connects to the Internet with Cable, DSL, ISDN or Analog Modem