Hey You Brits!! (dialect question)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've was wrapping a couple of Christmas gifts this evening and watching a Public Television airing of a documentary on the life of Charles Dickens. The narrator had an accent that I've heard a few times in the past, most memorably in an episode of Blackadder when Pitt the Younger was running for Prime Minister.

It's like Elmer Fudd with a British accent.

WHAT dialect is this?? It is an incredibly ridiculous accent. I could laugh at it all day long. Is this associated with persons of position or is it just a coincidence?

Do tell.

I'm vewy intewested in knowing what the answew is.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    It's part speech impediment, part generic 'posh' public schooled (ie, expensive private) accent.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    It's funny, but for reasons that escape me it makes me want to beat the ever-lovin' stuffin' out of people who talk like that....and I abhor bullying. Maybe it makes me want to beat up their teachers.

Is there a slang for that accent?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

It's part speech impediment, part generic 'posh' public schooled (ie, expensive private) accent.

I didn't see it, but it's also probably an exaggerated version of that accent, knowing Dickens. He was pretty careful about poking fun at the speech patterns of upper-class (and those who wished to be thought so) folks.

Cheers

Scott