10.3.2 Update and no restart

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got off the phone with my friend who has a 1.25GHz 17" iMac and his computer will not restart after updating to 10.3.2...............just continuous swirling bars........for 45 minutes now.

I updated my G5 today without a fuss, which prompted his current demise. I feel bad.

Anyone else out there have a similar problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    nope. updated 3 machines with no problems.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Moving to the Genius Bar.

Has your friend tried the usual "quick fixes" like running fsck from single user mode or repairing the drive after booting from the Mac OS X Install CD?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    i think he is still waiting for it to restart...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Kill the power and try reboting again. If that doesn't work kill the power, open the CD tray manually, put the system CD in there and trying booting from that and repairing permissions.

Also, I believe there is a way even in OS X, to boot up with minimal kernel extensions loaded at startup. Forget which key you have to hold down but that might be worth investigating.

You could also try booting a FW drive with 10.3.x in target mode.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Hold down apple-v after the chime to get the verbose output.

I do this on all our servers as it also shows part of the shutdown routine.

He should be able to see where it hangs.

Dobby.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    He tried rebooting, again.....same result.

I went to his house, started up on the 10.3 install CD, repaired permissions and repaired disc. It seemed to correct a few permissions, but still no boot.

I tried to archive install off the installation CD, but the option button is grayed out and I get a message that the OS on the HD is newer.

I downloaded the 10.3.2 upgrade from Apple's site, in hopes of reinstalling it. But, I still get the "Newer" message and the option grayed out.

I will try the command or Apple "V" to see what there is to see. I'll let you know what happened tomorrow, if he has not given up and started over.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    at this point back up your files, reformat, and go.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I tried one last time to achive install, and that one last time gave me the options menu to do so. All is well.

It seems odd that this iMac was the only one that had trouble. I have seen no reports of others having trouble.