Please help? Networking Panther iBook and Jaguar iMac...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
...and it's not working.

Trying to connect a iMac DV with Jaguar and a iBook G3 900 with Panther to each other to carry files over...trying to get personal files, music library, preferences, etc. from iMac DV to the iBook. We've gathered everything and I know where they go on the iBook...we just can't get them to see each other!

Actually, it's my friend in Indiana trying this...and I'm trying to help her over the phone.

She's got them both connected with an Ethernet cable. Has "Personal File Sharing" activated in both.

What are we doing wrong?

The iBook can't see the iMac and vice versa.

Any timely, geek-free info or advice is MUCH appreciated!!!

What needs to be clicked/activated/started/connected for this to work? It's not hardware...both machine's Ethernet ports are fine and fully functional. That's been confirmed.

Help!

If it makes any difference, the iBook has an AirPort card installed. The iMac doesn't. Is there something on the iBook that needs to be checked or unchecked involving this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    are you going to connect to server from the finder?

also, does the iBook have an auto sensing ethernet port? if not you will have to get a crossover cable...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Man, at this point we're trying EVERY which way: from iMac to iBook, from iBook to iMac...in the various ways Jaguar (iMac) and Panther (iBook) let you do this!

As far as cable and auto-sensing, I don't know. All I know is this: this is the same cable I used not two weeks ago to connect this exact iBook to a new iBook G4 and it worked flawlessly.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Most of the newer machines can switch to crossover as well. The older machines can't.

As Paul mentioned, you probably need a crossover or use a mini hub.

Also check in Directory Services that Appletalk is enabled.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it is possible that the iBook G4 has an auto sensing port and the G3 iBook doesnt... I know for a fact that the iMac doesn't... if neither do short of stripping the ethernet cable and crossing a few wires it wont work... (unless you went out and bought a crossover cable and/or a router...)
  • Reply 5 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Probably a dumb question, but she wouldn't have a FireWire cable around would she?

(stupid, because you've probably already suggested it to her)

That would be a super easy way to transfer files though, using Target Disk mode.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    That's interesting about this crossover business. It does indeed seem to be a cable issue then, huh?

Here's the deal: I used this cable to connect my PowerBook G4 to her iBook G4. Upon further thinking, I don't know if I used it on the G3 iBook, so...

And yeah, the FireWire Target Disk thing did come up, but she doesn't seem to be able to find one.

Her friend (who is gone right now) does have a 3G 15GB iPod...any chance a cable like this comes with the iPod?

That would be GREAT!!!

She leaves tomorrow to head back down. The whole reason for this trip (well, one of them) was to get this G3 iBook to her friend AND bring back my tangerine iMac DV to me. So you can understand that it's VERY IMPORTANT WE GET THIS SHIT TRANSFERRED ASAP.

If the iPod FireWire is a no go, for whatever reason, which is easiest and cheapest for 2 non-savvy types (she and her friend) to go out and purchase this evening?

FireWire cable or crossover Ethernet? What kind of stores have these? ANYTHING special they need to know about either?

If she walks into a Best Buy or Circuit City and asks for a "crossover Ethernet cable", is THAT going to be - no ifs, ands or buts - what she needs to make this happen?

The clock is ticking...

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Her friend (who is gone right now) does have a 3G 15GB iPod...any chance a cable like this comes with the iPod?

how much stuff needs to be transferred over? couldn't you transfer files using the ipod itself as a vessel for the files? first, back up any songs that might be on the ipod to the destination computer, so you can put them back later. then empty the ipod, and start filling it up with files. even if you have 60 GB worth of stuff, that's just four trips from one to the other.

anyway, that's what i'm thinking. remember the 3g ipods come with the specific dock-connector on one end. i think dr. bott sells an adapter for it to turn it into a standard 6-pin cable, but if that's not an option, the "high-capacity sneaker net" should do the trick.

• Reply 8 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If she's going to a Best Buy, tell her to grab a short, cheap FireWire cable. Easy as pie to transfer everything in one shot, and then she's got that cable for future use.

Or, do the iPod trick rok suggested. That would work good too. Depends on how much data we're talking about I guess. If it's only 10GB or less, then just use the iPod. Only drawback is having to dump the tunes and synch the iPod again, but it's not that big of a deal. Even if it's more data than that, and you have to do 2 or 3 transfers, it's faster (and cheaper) than driving to a store.

• Reply 9 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    edit: nevermind.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Crisis averted, problem solved. All is well.

God bless the iPod!

And someone KICK ME for not thinking of that, oh, FOUR HOURS AGO!

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Mods, close thread at will...