User Accounts Lock Problem In System Preferences

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have been running into a weird problem with the Accounts System Preference in Panther.

If I change something, say a startup item, I always lock the Accounts afterwards. Then I?ll go to regular computing. Many times when I go back to the Accounts System Preference, I am finding the lock open.

This is very disturbing. I am beginning to think there is some sort of bug that unlocks the Accounts pref if I use the admin password while computing, say to run Cocktail or sudo something in Terminal.

I can?t find an exact sequence to replicate the behavior every time. But it should never happen.

Has anyone else seen this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    do you have security set to lock secure preferences?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Went to Security and found lock open (why? I know I locked it.) Found the box unchecked for secure preferences. Checked it. If that was the problem, it seems unintuitive. If you click the lock on Accounts, Sharing, etc., doesn't it seem as if it should stay locked until an administrator unlocks it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you pointed this out to me. I hope it solves the problem. Just seems as if there is a "master lock" function, it should be pointed out a bit more clearly.

Thank you for catching that.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Changing that setting in Security really seems to have done the trick. Thanks a bunch for saving my sanity.