US Appeals Court Declares Medical Marijuana an Intrastate Issue

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Today we get 3 links of story content. wired, fox, and the times (for the geeks, conservatives and liberals among us).

The federal appeals court ruled that dealing with medical marijuana differs sufficiently from drug trafficking, so as to not fall under the Federal Controlled Substances Act, from the 1970s (marijuana is listed as a Schedule 1 drug under that act, and is therefore not allowed for any use: medicinal or otherwise...until now). 9 States which have laws pertaining to medical marijuana can stand without fear of federal prosecution, so long as the growth, distribution and use is all contained within a single state. the case may still go to the supreme court, but until then we can all rejoice and

hoorah for freedom.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Do as the President says...

LET'S ROLL!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Good decision. The medical use of marihuana and the recreational use of marihuana are two entirely separate issues. The medical use of marihuana is strictly a medical issue ? it is solely a matter of whether it is a medically helpful drug. Far more potent drugs than marihuana are used in medicine despite the fact that they are considered illegal and dangerous for recreational use. The knee-jerk opposition to marihuana as a medical drug is simply silly.

That being said, there still are some legitimate questions as to whether marihuana is a very good therapeutic drug. Tests show considerable promise for certain conditions, but are not yet conclusive and it is not yet clear that it is superior, in many cases, to other drugs. Also, there is a legitimate question of whether smoking is an ideal delivery mechanism. Dosage and quality can be extremely hard to control, and for certain sick patients smoking itself can be difficult. But these are medical questions, entirely separate from whether or not recreational marihuana use should be legalized.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

That being said, there still are some legitimate questions as to whether marihuana is a very good therapeutic drug. Tests show considerable promise for certain conditions, but are not yet conclusive and it is not yet clear that it is superior, in many cases, to other drugs. Also, there is a legitimate question of whether smoking is an ideal delivery mechanism. Dosage and quality can be extremely hard to control, and for certain sick patients smoking itself can be difficult. But these are medical questions, entirely separate from whether or not recreational marihuana use should be legalized.

i'm kind of surprised, but one of the articles mentioned that a patient was smoking marijuana, as prescribed by her doctor. i would expect that doctor's would prefer the imfirmed to eat the marijuana, to avoid the problems involved with smoking.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i'm kind of surprised, but one of the articles mentioned that a patient was smoking marijuana, as prescribed by her doctor. i would expect that doctor's would prefer the imfirmed to eat the marijuana, to avoid the problems involved with smoking.

My understanding is that smoking is an efficient way to get a full dose of the active substance, and eating less so. That being said, many patients cannot smoke and smoking is not generally considered a good way to take medicine in terms of measuring the dosage, among other factors. I understand that a company in the U.K. is working on an inhaler that should be on the market within a few years.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Isn't this from the most overturned court in the country?