S.M.A.R.T Status: Drive Failing.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So my bro's G5, still running 10.2.8, wouldn't start up. No problem, I installed 10.3.1 on his second drive and booted from it and ran Disk Utility. Well, in red text at the bottom of the screen it says:

S.M.A.R.T Status: Drive Failing

Phone support is no longer free IF it is a software problem, however if it is a hardware problem my bro can gat a free replacement.

I think it is a hardware problem but what do you guys think? Should I gamble?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Well, if the computer says, Failing. Guess what, it's probably a failing drive!. I'd call apple, and get a replacement.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Heh. Reading my post again I may not have made my question clear. It was supposed to be something like: Is it a hardware or software that bad? Would a reformat bring the drive back to a useable state?

I guess I was just reading too much into it. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Yeah, some drives keep up on themselves... checking to see how they are doing. It's called S.M.A.R.T., and it can be a big lifesaver. Sooo.... back up the data ASAP and call Apple for a new one.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Is it a hardware or software that bad? Would a reformat bring the drive back to a useable state?

Hardware and not likely. Get a replacement ASAP.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, from my experience S.M.A.R.T. status is pretty dang accurate. there's an excellent chance it will die in the next 48 hours. back up and stop using it now. it's a hardware issue.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    My last comp repair job had to deal with a SMART predicted failure.

We had to RMA the drive and the data was unsaveable (the clients thought that hitting the computer an insane amout of times would fix it, I had a sturn talk with them about why you don't want to move a computer while it is running let alone apply kenetic force)

Good luck for all data recovery you need to do.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    By some freak chance the drive booted and I saved about 90% of the data before it crashed again.

The G5 is on its way to an Apple store today for a replacement.