Printing with a shared printer on a Windows Network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, I want to have a Mac running 10.2 to a Windows network for printing purposes. How do I have the computer be able to print? How do I configure this? I've heard that printing on a Windows network with Mac OS X is really easy, but I'm stuck right now.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    set up the mac to share the printer by going to the sharing pref pane and clicking on the printer sharing checkbox

now make sure to set up the printer like you would any other printer on the mac first...

then just connect it to the network.... as for having the PCs print to it... i haven't the slightest clue... but try going to a print dialog and play around there to add a remote printer and see if you can see the newly networked printer on your mac...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Just plug your printer(s) into your Windows machine. Install all necessary drivers. In the Windows control panel open the printer section. Right-click on each printer you want to share and select "share". As for the share name you should take an easy name without spaces as it works best.

On the mac side you'll also have to install drivers. Perhaps you will need gimp. Than go to the print utility in your application folder. Click on add printer and select the Network option. Here you'll have to type your printers name (the share name) and the IP adress (I've noticed that IP adresses in the format 192.168.1.x work better than 192.168.0.x) of the windows box. Now it should work. If it doesn't turn your firewall off and try again.

good luck
  • Reply 3 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    OH my bad I misunderstood your post...

you want to add your computer to a network (mostly PCs)

and on that network there is a printer

all you need to do is go to the print center (in the utilities folder) and hit the "add" button

then in the pulldown menu select IP printing

type in the address of the printer then from the pulldown menu below that select the printer's manufacturer

this will add a list of printers to the bottom of the window, click on the correct model printer you will be printing to... (if you can't find the exact one, find the closest match... but it SHOULD be there)

you need to know the name of the printer or the IP you also need to know the model so you can use the correct driver...

hit the add button at the bottom of the sheet and the new printer should show up in the list...

to edit the options for the printer select it and press cmd-i play around with the options there...

to troubleshoot the printer if it is not working correctly double click on it and look at the queue that your computer is sending to the printer...

hth