What's WRONG with me?!? I can't stop using my iMac DV...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Just got my old tangerine iMac DV back Friday night. Did a fresh, clean install of Panther, all the updates, etc. on it and that was gonna be it. Let my Mom borrow it or something.

But here it is Sunday morning...my 2-month-old PowerBook is sitting over in its case for the second day in a row, untouched.

Someone smack me.

I'd forgotten just how slick and nice these little jellybeans are! Sigh...

I actually found a place that does G4 upgrades to slot-loading iMacs!

And another company does Combo Drive (and SuperDrive) upgrades for these models.

I had no idea. I'd long called for someone to PLEASE come out with a replacement Combo Drive for the slot-loading iMacs. I missed that whole Flower Power/Blue Dalmation thing, where they came stock.

Not saying I'm going to do either of the above, but...

For a machine supposedly "closed" and unable to be upgraded (beyond RAM, AirPort Card and hard drive), the above is kinda neat. I know nothing about this, but if someone also came out with a way to replace the 8MB graphics to where I could get OS X-friendly 32MB or so, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't consider going nuts and making this little orange cutie as modern, useful and capable as it could possibly be!

What would be cooler than a little iMac DV with a 500MHz G4, Combo Drive, 32MB graphics, 40GB hard drive and 768MB RAM? Nothing, that's what!

THERE'S your digital hub! And cute too...

Would have to sell this silly PowerBook...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    You can give your PowerBook to me for christmas
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Start holding your breath...1, 2, 3...

Ah, it's just nice because it's something new and different, even though, technically, it's something old and the same. Kinda like seeing an old friend after a couple of years and realizing how hot she looks, and you never really noticed it before. But after a couple of lunches and phone conversations you realize it's just your old friend from back in the day and it ain't no big deal. Just temporary infatuation brought on by her cute apple butt, saucy short haircut and toe ring...

Wow, I put a long tail on THAT kite, didn't I?

I'll have the PowerBook out by this afternoon...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey, I did the same thing with a G3 iMac, but my story is even worse. I was running OS9!

Had some kind of strange retro thing going on, and I ran OS9 on that puppy for over a week, and at 800x600 no less! I did go to OSX eventually, but then I did a very bad thing and set my PowerBook down beside it. The screen instantly looked like it had a think layer of baked on molasses on it, and I had to sell her.

• Reply 4 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Start holding your breath...1, 2, 3...

Ah, it's just nice because it's something new and different, even though, technically, it's something old and the same. Kinda like seeing an old friend after a couple of years and realizing how hot she looks, and you never really noticed it before. But after a couple of lunches and phone conversations you realize it's just your old friend from back in the day and it ain't no big deal. Just temporary infatuation brought on by her cute apple butt, saucy short haircut and toe ring...

You know that calls for pictures
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pscates...was thinking recently of doing the same thing to the iMac DV 400 in the kid's room...but then i started adding up the costs---

change g3 to g4

new HD

more ram

?better graphics?

figured i could easily get an eMac for the cost i would spend to upgrade the iMac DV...or have a good chunk of change saved for an iBook for them...so i am leaving the iMac DV as is till the screen dies or whatever...then it becomes a piece of art...

for now i am waiting to see what january brings...if iMac goes g5 i will likely get one and give the iMac FP g4 to the kids for their other room (so they each have their own and i can hog the computer room for myself)...if no g5 iMac, i may get them an iBook to fight over

g
  • Reply 6 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    But the video performance will still suck

pscates, I know a good mental doctor and his rate is reasonable, do you want his card?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    So one of you that are technical-minded and up on this sort of thing: can the iMac DV's video/graphics be upgraded? If not, why?

I'm genuinely asking...

And I only ask because for four years I also heard "the processor isn't upgradeable..." and NOW look!

Was just curious. Looks like the RAM, hard drive, processor and optical drive on these things are all replaceable.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

So one of you that are technical-minded and up on this sort of thing: can the iMac DV's video/graphics be upgraded? If not, why?

I'm genuinely asking...

And I only ask because for four years I also heard "the processor isn't upgradeable..." and NOW look!

Was just curious. Looks like the RAM, hard drive, processor and optical drive on these things are all replaceable.

The CPU is "upgradable" but "desolder" the G3 chip out of the motherboard and then solder the G4 on the board....

But for video chip, I don't think it's possible because no one is interested.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Pretend, if you will, for one minute that someone IS interested. Is it possible, is all I'm curious about. Not saying I'd do it, just wondering what else about the iMac was upgradeable, despite years of hearing otherwise.

That's all.

Is it a special or funky graphics card, no longer made? Is it custom-fitted? Is it permanently integrated to the board or something like that? Is it some super-proprietary design/implementation that can't be monkeyed with?

That's the kind of stuff I'm curious about...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    iMac graphics cards are to be integrated, and soldered to the motherboard. Only the original iMac had upgradeable graphics, as you could install a (non-standard) 3Dfx Voodoo 2 in the now long defunct Mezzanine slot.