Are buyers seeing 2 or 4 Ghz?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Now that the G5 has arrived and the future roadmap looks even brighter, is Apple still battling the megahertz numbers game? Soon we'll be up around 3.0 ghz but with PC's up at around 3.2 ghz, is the perception that Macs are still slower?



Or perhaps buyers are adding the second processor into the equation and naively assuming 2+2=4 (Ghz)



(And before Pscates accuses me of being a spec whore, I'm just postulating about buyers perceptions).

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by satchmo

    Now that the G5 has arrived and the future roadmap looks even brighter, is Apple still battling the megahertz numbers game? Soon we'll be up around 3.0 ghz but with PC's up at around 3.2 ghz, is the perception that Macs are still slower?



    Or perhaps buyers are adding the second processor into the equation and naively assuming 2+2=4 (Ghz)



    (And before Pscates accuses me of being a spec whore, I'm just postulating about buyers perceptions).




    mean shit.



    people worried about Mhz arent paying 3000 bucks for a computer that actually competes in Mhz.



    Apple is hurting...badly....with MHz on their low and mid range machines.



    1Ghz and 1.25Ghz is sad and pathetic compared to what is available for 900-2000 dollars on the PC side.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Spec whore.









    I don't know. It's so close, and will be getting closer. The "public" needs to be educated and get a clue, IMO. But I ain't got the time OR the budget, so...



  • Reply 3 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,132member
    I don't think so. Perception beats reality most of the time. If people hear "The G5 is the Worlds Fastest computer" or something similar ad naseaum them eventually they will look beyond the "specs". Most people just want positive affirmation that they bought the right product. Give them that and they don't care about much else as long as their needs are met.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    I don't think so. Perception beats reality most of the time. If people hear "The G5 is the Worlds Fastest computer" or something similar ad naseaum them eventually they will look beyond the "specs". Most people just want positive affirmation that they bought the right product. Give them that and they don't care about much else as long as their needs are met.



    those people are interested until they see it costs 3000 dollars and the only thing they can afford is 1.25GHz and uses the previous generation processor
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I recall hearing they don't look at MHz now as much as they do multimedia functionality, now with the market flooded with different Mhz'd computers, what are sales people saying when people wanting a Centrino notebook ask why is it so much faster and the MHz is so much smaller? Right now the perception is security, ease of use, and what all they can do with it, * edit * at least from what I've read.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kraig911

    [snip]... Right now the perception is security, ease of use, and what all they can do with it.



    Well, that should help Apple's cause somewhat.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kraig911

    I recall hearing they don't look at MHz now as much as they do multimedia functionality, now with the market flooded with different Mhz'd computers, what are sales people saying when people wanting a Centrino notebook ask why its so much fast is the MHz is so much smaller? Right now the perception is security, ease of use, and what all they can do with it.



    pc to pc



    we're talking mac to pc.



    what's the clockspeed on those centrinos.....it's just a tad higher than it is on the iBook, no?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by applenut

    pc to pc



    we're talking mac to pc.



    what's the clockspeed on those centrinos.....it's just a tad higher than it is on the iBook, no?




    ahh but look at the price of a centrino notebook compared to a p4 consumer laptop? heh



    Mhz... wise most people doing research will compare... the problem with apple sales, is when people think about buying a new computer they don't think about buying a mac, just another PC...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I know plenty of people that would *love* to buy a Dual G5, but then they look at the price tag. It's just too high.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    it would have been so much easier if they did it like AMD. I mean ppl just like BIGGER numbers, some mind set. Like Bigger speakers equal Better sound... so... like AMD use the times faster then the original it's not a G4 1.4 Mhz computer, it's a G4 3200+
  • Reply 11 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The Celeron 4 seems to be an exercise in "larger numbers". Due to it's small cache, it performs really badly for chip of its clockrate (even taking into account the P4's lower instruction per clock c.f. the P3/Athlon).
  • Reply 12 of 14
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

    it would have been so much easier if they did it like AMD. I mean ppl just like BIGGER numbers, some mind set. Like Bigger speakers equal Better sound... so... like AMD use the times faster then the original it's not a G4 1.4 Mhz computer, it's a G4 3200+



    not exactly. a G4 1Ghz or 1.25Ghz just doesn't compete with Pentiums twice its speed.



    MHz myth works to a point but mac users seem to extend it as far as needed. It was like, yea alright, when they were 250 mhz faster than us, there was a MHz myth and we were just as fast or faster. Then it got larger, and larger, and larger....and yet, we kept upping how large the myth was.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Fran441

    I know plenty of people that would *love* to buy a Dual G5, but then they look at the price tag. It's just too high.



    I would love to buy one of those too, do I need one? No way, but I would love it. I come from the "can't afford it crowd" but take comfort in the fact that a computer like that is way too fast for me. Keep in mind I do some high end video, photo editing, and audio stuff quite frequently. (Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack, Photoshop, illustrator...ect) but I don't need that kind of power. The average consumer who only does word processing, simple iPhoto stuff, e mail, and web surfing would never even come close to taking advantage of the power of a dual 2.0/1.8. They would be well served by a 1.6.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    ...or an eMac or iMac!!! \
Sign In or Register to comment.