RRRReally slow emac! What's wrong?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently purchased an 800 mhz emac, 512 RAM, 60 gig, super drive. My problem is this: my 5 yr old compaq 400mhz 64 RAM smokes it when it comes to opening web pages. My emac is taking 3 to 5 minutes to open the home page of ebay. Granted, I'm still pretty new to osx, but what do I have to do to remedy this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    you are using Safari right?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I just got an emac 800 with 640 ram last week and it smokes like a mofo. I have a cable modem though.

Are you using safari? It is pretty fast compared to IE.

Try "repairing privledges" and running "fsck" and see if that remedies your troubles. For instructions on how to do this check the first link at the top of this page. I think its in there.

I just tried an ebay page in another tab and loaded real fast...few seconds.

cnn.com=4second

apple.com=1sec

If you have a cable or dsl you will get similar results, if you are on dial up YMWV.

Good Luck, Randy
  • Reply 3 of 11
    right, I am using safari
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I ran the fsck, but to no avail. This thing is still as slow as molasses!!!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    is it just as slow using other browsers?

maybe you can try this... pulldown Safari menu...select reset safari.

then do empty cashe in the same menu.

I really don't know what could be wrong (not a computer genius) I am just trying to give you a few of the quick fixes that I know off hand for things.

Aside from these hints you'll have to hope that maybe one of AI's "real"

mac gurus will answer your call for help.

Randy
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by greg1993

This thing is still as slow as molasses!!!

Are we strictly referring to opening web pages, or the computer experience as a whole? Let's narrow this down.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Are we strictly referring to opening web pages, or the computer experience as a whole? Let's narrow this down.

in his first post he refers to loading web pages.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

in his first post he refers to loading web pages.

Whoops! That's what I get for skimming the posts.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    What type of connection do you have? Is the account you are on admin, or user? If you have verified permissions and corrected them. If you have experianced any unexpected shut downs (kernel panics) or have had to force the Machine to shut off with the power button, try running drive 10 or the like.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    download "macjanitor" and "onyx." run those, then see what happens. i have the EXACT same emac as you (spec-wise), and mine is faster than some powermacs i've used. onyx will clear out you caches (if you choose to) and keep in mind that the first time you go to a site its gonna take longer to load b/c nothing is in the cache.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by greg1993

I recently purchased an 800 mhz emac, 512 RAM, 60 gig, super drive. My problem is this: my 5 yr old compaq 400mhz 64 RAM smokes it when it comes to opening web pages. My emac is taking 3 to 5 minutes to open the home page of ebay. Granted, I'm still pretty new to osx, but what do I have to do to remedy this problem?

Try another web browser besides Safari and Internet Explorer. My suggestion would be Firebird on Mozilla's site (http://www.mozilla.org). If it is still slow then you may have a real problem.