Can't print to USB Epson 740

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Here's an odd one. I have three Panther computers, iBook, Powerbook and an old iMac. I want to use the iMac as the print server. Problem is I can't get it to print to the Epson 740. It seems to spool and then ... poof it's gone from the que. No message no warning.

Works just fine with the other computers.

I have all the updates and repaired permissions. Still doesn't work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    You could try Print Setup Repair (formerly Print Center Repair). It has fixed a ton issues I have had in the past.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [total rewrite] Well, that app really did the trick. Thank you very much for the tip, HOM!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I tried that utility but it didn't work.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    The fscking thing is working now. Not a 100% but mostly working. I'm not sure what did it but I think a shutdown and restart did it.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I have found that the Epson drivers are badly written, and tend to kill themselves on a regular basis. This is in experience ranging from a 740i to a Pro 7600 (wonderful printer... bad drivers). I have started to move towards the Gimp-Print/CUPS method of attaching these printers, and have found it to be much more stable. I have a hint submitted at http://www.macosxhints.com that walks you through setting up a 740, so hopefully that will be posted sometime soon.

One note if you are going to do it yourself. There is a known issue with Epson USB devices, apparently they do something out of USB spec, and if you talk to them with Epson software they will stop responding for a while to other software. The work-around is to turn the device off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it back on. I have to do this when the printers need cleaning (and I have to use Epson software for that).
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

I have a hint submitted at http://www.macosxhints.com that walks you through setting up a 740, so hopefully that will be posted sometime soon.

Been to the site and can't find it. if its not too long could you post it here? I have a 740 and would like to try it.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    It's already using CUPS. Seems to be the default in Panther.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Been to the site and can't find it. if its not too long could you post it here? I have a 740 and would like to try it.

So far it seems that they have not posted a pair of my recent hints, but I think that might be because they are a bit behind. Right now I am away from the computers where I can check things, so a re-writeup will have to wait until monday.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I've set my Mom up on Panther and for the life of me cannot find a way to access the printer's controls (for low-ink levels and such). I did so many Google searches last night I plumb forgot what the outcome was beyond the fact that I couldn't make it work (and that the colors are printing like shite) on the machine.

Grrrr.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I'm glad you pulled this up because that's where I am now. The printer works but the "utility" button is not sensitized. So I can't do anything like print the test page or check the offset/skew. It all works fine if it plug it into the powerbook.

Also the network print sharing only works on my account. It would be nice to have it working with any admin account or even when the login screen is up.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    You're ahead of me, I don't even SEE a "utility" button....there's some kind of Epson utility in the main library, but it doesn't DO anything when you run it. Where do YOU see a utility button (a button that does not work)?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    It's in the printer center dohicky. Double click your printer to bring up the queue.

The other odd thing is that the icon I see for the printer is not the same between the old iMac and the powerbook. Same printer and OS X install but the two computers are getting the icon from different places.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Now the print sharing is not working again. Looks like apple has some work to do.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Ok.. sorry about the delay, but I just saw that macosxhints posted my hint:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...03121715024686
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I checked out that page and that's how my printer is set up right now. It still flakes out.