Taking a crack at Photoshop CS

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I got Photoshop CS for Christmas, and I've been playing around for a little while, trying to learn it. I've had PS Elements (1) for a while now, but CS is like, 100x better than elements (duh...). Anyway, tell me what you think of my first crack at making a halfway decent wallpaper ( 1024*768 )

PSD (2.05 MB)

(I'm not sure, but I think that the lines are there to bring in an X theme. I just started making lines, saw the X's, and thought of panther)

(Yes, I know the Panther box has a black background)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    wow nice job...

sorry, but I think you could do much better still in Photoshop Elements

I mean its just an inverted box... the Myriad Apple font (or you just took that off the Apple site) and a few gradients

But ya, try and learn Photoshop, It's an awesome program
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I really hadn't bothered too much in Elements cause it kinda sucked, but I'm still figuring out what it can do, and I just made a quick wallpaper to try it out, to see if it was any easier
  • Reply 3 of 13
    please.....save....as ....jpeg. For us non-PS using folks!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

please.....save....as ....jpeg. For us non-PS using folks!

click "half decent wallpaper". it's a gif
  • Reply 5 of 13
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Thats a trip. Something I didn't noticed is that Safari loaded the PSD in the browser. Has this always been around?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by load

Thats a trip. Something I didn't noticed is that Safari loaded the PSD in the browser. Has this always been around?

dunno but that's pretty neat!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

There's probably a QuickTime translation going on there because Preview.app can natively open PSD files.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

There's probably a QuickTime translation going on there because Preview.app can natively open PSD files.

Yeah that is what I figured was going on. I just never noticed it before. The only reason I noticed this time is that I accidentally clicked on the PSD link instead of the gif one.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

Keynote can place/resize/manipulate .psd files too. It must be in the OS. (I believe that Illustrator files are the same way.)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Keynote can place/resize/manipulate .psd files too. It must be in the OS. (I believe that Illustrator files are the same way.)

yeah I love the way keynote works with PSDs and Illustrator files...just copy and paste. beautiful stuff!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Photoshop CS gah what a letdown that one was... as was illustrator CS, though i do like the font menu... Sorry, its just I use it day in and day out, and its become the bane of my existence. Congrats on getting it though, this version is probably the easiest to learn. I recommend getting a book, and doing the tutorials. I used to teach photoshop, for high school grade level kids, as an urban tutor, in south Dallas, and I had our kids use Photoshop Wow

Also if you're using photoshop to mess with your photos, for correction. I highly recommend you get a book just about photography in general

Happy Photoshopping!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    w00t!!!!!!!!

I can use the pen tool...and GET THE RESULTS I WANT! It's a revalation! I'm feeling very special. My friends will go green with envy...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The Pen Tool (cue swelling music) is THE end-all/be-all tool to know. It scares the daylights out of so many - particularly anyone playing around with Illustrator for the first time - but it's essential.

I know people who STILL use the lasso tool for making intricate clipping paths. These are so-called "professionals" too.

I'll never understand that. You get ONE shot to make it right!

Oh well...

IMO, Photoshop and Illustrator are only half the program they are without the pen tool. Once you learn it (and it's not even hard!), there really isn't anything you can't create, mask, clip, isolate, draw, retouch, add, finesse, etc.

But that's just me...I remember it being the first thing I played with when I bought Illustrator 5.0 with my first Mac nearly 10 years ago. I thought "how cool...this thing does EVERYTHING!"