why home icon cann't display the capacity of free space?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Although I had set the folder option to show the additional info, the free space still can not display.

PS, originally, it can display the correct info beside the home icon!

please give me some hints. Thx!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    well the network mounted drives can be properly display the free space info.

• Reply 2 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    well, my harddrive does it correct. Maybe you should try to turn it off, then on again. If that doesn't help, refer to the GB FAQ.

Noch nen schönen Stephanstag!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Because "home" is just a folder; your home directory. It doesn't have its own capacity.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Because "home" is just a folder; your home directory. It doesn't have its own capacity.

Not quite. See the icon? He just named his hard drive "Home" -- it's not his home folder.

This may be related to an issue I reported to Apple back when 10.3 was first released. The number under the icon for free space never updated on the desktop if you emptied the trash. I'm away from my OS X computer now (on a lowly OS 9 machine), but I'll look into this when I'm there next.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    yeah, lot of people had noticed what I mentioned is a Panther's Finder bug which had been discovered from the beginning of its release.

To my situation, that HOME icon is not a folder, if it is, then that will show the objects contained in that folder instead of the total capacity of my harddrive, and the point is there is no free space info displayed beside the 37,25GB.

what a headache!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Not quite. See the icon? He just named his hard drive "Home" -- it's not his home folder.

I couldn't (and apparently now can) access any of his pictures he uploaded, so I didn't see the icons when I was replying and was just presuming he was talking about the home folder. Sorry.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I couldn't (and apparently now can) access any of his pictures he uploaded, so I didn't see the icons when I was replying and was just presuming he was talking about the home folder. Sorry.

I should say sorry, the piture hosting server is not stable.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    I've had this happen once. Look at the ownership and permissions of the volume. I'm quite sure this harddrive doesn't belong to your user/group, but rather the system or something. That's what happened to me. The main drive should belong to 'system', group 'admin' and owner and group should have read/write access. You can probably solve this by repairing permissions and turning off and on the 'show info' thingie.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by fryke

I've had this happen once. Look at the ownership and permissions of the volume. I'm quite sure this harddrive doesn't belong to your user/group, but rather the system or something. That's what happened to me. The main drive should belong to 'system', group 'admin' and owner and group should have read/write access. You can probably solve this by repairing permissions and turning off and on the 'show info' thingie.

?

thx, problem solved!