IBM and Apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
While reading one of Mastergating's posts (some of u know him by Masterbating), He was talking about how Apple would buy out MOto's semi division and would have IBM use altivec to make procs for apple in the long term.

And then the idea hit me. It may sound absurd and feel free (as I know all of u will) to show me the facts of why this could or would not happen.

IBM brings the Power4 to the PowerMac.

Imagine it, Apple's new machine....

The PowerMac P4

this would confuse a lot of people out their into buying macs first off, it would also be a killer machine. The 32 megs of L3 cache, enough memory bandwidth to transfer 20 DVDs at once.

Now that is a chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    It'd cost about $20,000.

at least.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by G-Dog:

<strong>IBM brings the Power4 to the PowerMac.

Imagine it, Apple's new machine....

The PowerMac P4

this would confuse a lot of people out their into buying macs first off, it would also be a killer machine. The 32 megs of L3 cache, enough memory bandwidth to transfer 20 DVDs at once.

Now that is a chip.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That thing eats so much power, Apple would have to attach a gas generator to the PB.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Yeah, for a dual or quad cluster you would need a small nuclear reactor, the thing has 170 million transistors.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    "Hey dad, the whole of North America is experiencing a black out!"

"Billy must be on his new PowerMac"
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Heh.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    lol. nice to see some humor on these boards.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I'll bet Junkyard Dawg's giant member could supply the juice to a quad-processor Power4!
  • Reply 8 of 12

<strong>

The 32 megs of L3 cache, enough memory bandwidth to transfer 20 DVDs at once.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

20 DVDs take up slightly more space than 32MB. Maybe you have your MBs and GBs mixed up?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>

20 DVDs take up slightly more space than 32MB. Maybe you have your MBs and GBs mixed up?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Memory bandwidth, not memory. Just means that the mobo architecture on the power 4 can supply massive throughput.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    IT's memory bandwidth is 100 gig per sec just so u know.
  • Reply 11 of 12

<strong>IT's memory bandwidth is 100 gig per sec just so u know.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ga... Ga... &lt;drools&gt;

Must... have... one...

Think of how many frames/sec you could get in UT with that
  • Reply 12 of 12
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Industrial Business Machines!