Epson CX 5400 All-In-One

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am thinking of buying one of these all-in-one units. My question is how superior (if at all) will the quality of the:

A) Scans and B) Prints be compared to my Umax Astra 1220U and my Epson Stylus Color 740? Also, which of their stand alone printers and scanners do the components most closely resemble (or is it made up of)? Anyone have one, what do you think? The reason I am partial to the Epson is that I am still impressed with the quality of the prints, especially photos, on my 740 even after about 3+ years. Any help or advice (other than give me your old ones free) is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SaskMac

I am thinking of buying one of these all-in-one units. My question is how superior (if at all) will the quality of the:

A) Scans and B) Prints be compared to my Umax Astra 1220U and my Epson Stylus Color 740? Also, which of their stand alone printers and scanners do the components most closely resemble (or is it made up of)? Anyone have one, what do you think? The reason I am partial to the Epson is that I am still impressed with the quality of the prints, especially photos, on my 740 even after about 3+ years. Any help or advice (other than give me your old ones free) is appreciated.

I just purchased the Epson RX500 All-in-One Printer/Scanner/Copier and I love it. I think the RX500 replaced the CX 5400 printer. If you can afford it, go with the RX500. It has a better scanner than the CX 5400 (2400 x 4800 dpi versus 1200 x 2400 dpi) and has an amazing photo print quality. It uses 6 individual ink cartridges that sell for ~12.99 each (~17.99 for the black cartridge).

I only have two gripes with my unit. One is that Epson doesn't really acknowledge that their drivers software runs in 10.3 (fortunately it seems to work fine). The second is that the Epson installer is not very intitutive. It installs one portion of the software, then activate a another installer and so on and so forth. Eventually, you have a ton of stuff in your Applications folder. I really didn't see a custom install option, but might have missed it.

Hope this helps.

Dave