Apple keyboard as Christmas present

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I now publicly take back everything negative thing I said about the Apple keyboard. After only a day of use I have found several amazingly cool little side benefits to this device compared to my MacAlly iKey (which I still like quite a bit).

1. Heft: The weight of the keeyboard means I tend to push it around alot less when I type. One of the only problems I had with the iKey and the old Apple Pro.

2. Throw: the keys only need to be pressed about half has hard as the iKey because they only need to move about half as much.

3. Wide keys: the wider keys have almost the same tactile sense as a good laptop keyboard, and the wide keys and somewhat flatter design remove some of the need to fly around they keyboard. Since I'm a touch typist saving those few millimeters per sentence really makes a difference in how tired my hands feel after a long session of writing.

4. Multimedia keys: iKey doesn't have them, and I'd forgotten how much I like having them at my fingertips.

5. The color: I tend to type in low light as I do lots of work late at night and the white keyboard is much easier on the eyes on the occasions where I have to actually look at the keyboard.

6. The sound: I actually get a measure of happiness from the sound of productive fingers, and the comfortably, yet not all that loud, sound that they keys make as I'm flying through a short story or novel chapter helps keep me smiling as I type. There is something about the sound of this keyboard that really brings a smile to my face. It's not all that mechanical and it doesn't sound cheap. I really liked the sound that the iKey made too, but the Apple Keyboard is just a little nicer.

7. Size: The iKey is a big board and took up more than 2/3rds of my pullout keyboard drawer. The Apple board is really small in comparison and offers me much more space for my mouse and WACOM tablet. Plus, the small size means I don't have to overextend my fingers while typing so I can get another four or five words per minute, which both saves my fingers from cramping and increases my productivity.

So there are my seven reasons for really liking this board. Again, I apologize for slamming it before I had the opportinity to use it in my normal work setting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Just imagine how righteous it would be if it had the cool PowerBook backlighting.

Anyone besides me think that technology is going to find its way into ALL of Apple's keyboards (12" PowerBook, iBooks, standalone keyboards) before the end of 2004?

It's simply just too useful AND cool not to...

I initially viewed it as a cute little gimmick and strictly a "gee whiz!" eye candy add-on...until I used it. Now it's one of those "can't imagine my life without it" features.

• Reply 2 of 2
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Just imagine how righteous it would be if it had the cool PowerBook backlighting.

That would be sweet. And perhaps someday you can specify the colour of that backlighting too.