I hate the download window

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Man do I hate the download window in Safari. Why is there no option to use it or not?

The main reason it hate it is because being a notebook user I used command-` to cycle through windows. I'm always forced to cycle through the download window which is not a web page. If you dock it it just pops back up when a new download starts.

Rather fscking stupid if you ask me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it could use an update... like being able to open a file directly from the window instead of the folder that holds the file...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Or opening a save dialog box when you want to save something to the disk.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I agree...I currently use WindowShade X so I can leave a MIP window in the corner that disappears when I use Exposé.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It would be nice if was like IE's, with Resume and the other tools. And more than 4 downloads at a time! That sucks, I never noticed that when I was at college because of the ridiculous bandwidth and Speed Download.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

It would be nice if was like IE's, with Resume and the other tools. And more than 4 downloads at a time! That sucks, I never noticed that when I was at college because of the ridiculous bandwidth and Speed Download.

Yes. A resume download feature is what Safari needs. No need for some crap 3rd party application to do the job Safari should be doing.

Like having a little round grey button with a pause logo in it next to the 'x' icon to cancel the download. And when you click the pause button, it turns into a resume button. And it remembers downloads upon rebooting Safari, etc.

When Apple update Safari next time, this is the feature I want the most. m.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Man do I hate the download window in Safari. Why is there no option to use it or not?

The main reason it hate it is because being a notebook user I used command-` to cycle through windows. I'm always forced to cycle through the download window which is not a web page. If you dock it it just pops back up when a new download starts.

Use Speed Download 2 !

http://www.yazsoft.com/
  • Reply 7 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Does speed download get rid of the download window in Safari?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

No, but it sends all downloads to Speed Download, so it wont be used anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

It intercepts downloads, so they will never ever get to the Download window. SD2 supports re-download, pick-up, multiple connections etc.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    what i most want in safari downloads is the ability to name things before they download. a close 2nd is a way to see the progress of the download without having to locate the download windows. a bar graph down on the status bar would work just fine....
  • Reply 11 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Man, this is such a moment where I wish that Apple wouldn't have made Safari. It just sounds so much like discussions about IE on Windows. As soon as it comes with every Mac, everyone uses it, but doesn't notice it's shortcomings. Like IE. \

Do you realize that there are alternatives?[list=1][*]iCab[*]Camino[*]Mozilla[*]OmniWeb[*]Firebird[/list=1]I may have missed a browser, forgive me..

Those who do not like the way Safari handles your downloads, or other stuff, please consider trying out something else.

I'll make an example with OmniWeb, my favorite (I wouldn't be myself if I wouldn't recommend it). It uses the same render engine as Safari, so it's almost as fast.

If you want to download an image:

If you want to download something from a link:

The downloads window:

These are just a few of the really cool features of OmniWeb. But give also the other browsers a try.

• Reply 12 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OW5 looks awesome and IE is good for a backup but just too slow. Everything else is just ugly. SD costs money, so does OW5. Scott's point is a good one, and sometimes SD2 doesn't catch the download right or hangs when it gets the download, and also it isn't nice to use when you're on a modem! It hogs the modem and stalls other apps. Making that cancel button a pause button that automatically turns in to a resume button would be brilliant, just like how they made the Stop (X) button turn in to a Reload button. And there is something odd about the way it's a window that is brought up when cycling through. Maybe it shouldn't be a window? What could it be, a sidebar? i don't really like those. One of those mini windows, that isn't included in the cycling perhaps.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    The screenshots are from OmniWeb 4.5, not OmniWeb 5. Version 5 isn't out yet.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

OW5 looks awesome and IE is good for a backup but just too slow. Everything else is just ugly. SD costs money, so does OW5.

As said above, OW5 is not out. There have been *zero* real leaked screenshots.

It has been said, however, by the Omni staff that OmniWeb 5 will have the same licensing system as OW4.5 -- the app is shareware with no limitation, only an occasional immediately-dismissable nag screen on startup and a light watermark over windows that have been sitting idle for 5 minutes.

I'm a huge fan of OmniWeb. Based even on what little has been said about it by the Omni folks, it should blow away just about everything else.