ipod hard drive :(

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ok, my ipod hard drive spins basically all the time, and i'm getting REALLY bad battery lives out of it. also, even when i turn the ipod off, it ticks and squeaks. i have to put it on hold to make it stop making noises. am i the only one experienceing this? (btw, my songs are like 5MB, so its not song length thats the prob). any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

ok, my ipod hard drive spins basically all the time, and i'm getting REALLY bad battery lives out of it. also, even when i turn the ipod off, it ticks and squeaks. i have to put it on hold to make it stop making noises. am i the only one experienceing this? (btw, my songs are like 5MB, so its not song length thats the prob). any help would be appreciated!

After all my problems as shown in this forum, I thought I should help someone else.

Do you manually choose a song after the previous song finishes, often? Because this will make the HD spin up again, to put the next song in memory.

In my experience, the iPod HD seems to spin down after about 30 seconds to a minute if it is not touched, (listening to music or not).

When you say it's off, what sort of ticks and squeaks? Like when you reset the iPod and you hear that click when the Apple logo appears? If so, I honestly have no idea why it would do that. If the tick is the same sound as the buttons being pushed, switch it to hold, as if say the iPod is in its black slip on cover, it can push buttons due to static electricity, I think.

Hope that helps. m.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    need MUCH more information... what iPod.. when was it bought... what computer are you using it with... software version of the iPod (in settings->about)

how much free space...

also this probably belongs in the GB... have you tried to reset the iPod from the iPod utility in your utilities folder?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    10 gig 3rd gen on an 800Mhz emac. ipod is 6 or 7 months old. roughly 5.5 gigs of free space left.

the problem isnt as noticeable today, but its still there. it ticks like a time bomb, and the "squeaks" are just like any hard drive makes when it is "woken up" (maybe whurr is a better noise), but it makes this sound all the time. last night i gave it about 2 minutes to stop spinning after i selected a song, but it kept going. this morning it stopped spinning for one song, but i also havent used it as much as i did yesterday. i just feel like my battery life is being destroyed. should i let the battery run all the way out and fully charge once to see if it resets itself? i hope this helps explain the problem better. i'll post if anything changes. thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

10 gig 3rd gen on an 800Mhz emac. ipod is 6 or 7 months old. roughly 5.5 gigs of free space left.

the problem isnt as noticeable today, but its still there. it ticks like a time bomb, and the "squeaks" are just like any hard drive makes when it is "woken up" (maybe whurr is a better noise), but it makes this sound all the time. last night i gave it about 2 minutes to stop spinning after i selected a song, but it kept going. this morning it stopped spinning for one song, but i also havent used it as much as i did yesterday. i just feel like my battery life is being destroyed. should i let the battery run all the way out and fully charge once to see if it resets itself? i hope this helps explain the problem better. i'll post if anything changes. thanks.

I had this problem on a 1G iPod, but haven't seen it on 3G iPods. What I did to fix it was crack open the back of the case and do a hard reset of the batter and then restore the iPod firmware. I know that seems to be my advise for most iPod problems, but in my experience this will fix almost all issues not hardware related.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hmmm... would a software restore help?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

hmmm... would a software restore help?

I have found that restoring the iPod's firmware usually resolves any issues. Now if you don't have the music backed up then you should back it up first because obviously restoring the iPod's firmware also erases the drive.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    You have a 1 year warranty, use it.

I've been having to hard reset my iPod (first 10GB model) every few months so the battery charges properly (ie open case, unplug battery, etc), don't know why it is so finicky. I've had it replaced last year by Apple (first ipod crashed a lot before I replaced it), so this one is 1 year old. When the battery works, I get a good 8 hours out of it though.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    the squeaking and ticking is normal.

everyone has it, just not many people notice it.

it happens when battery life is less than 75%.

and if you notice when you touch the touch wheel or buttons, it makes the same squeal.

I actually don't know if it's normal but I know it's so common.

and I called apple about it. the guy was an idiot.