B&W can't boot OS 9 after installing Radeon 7000 Mac Edition

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just swapped out my OEM ATI Rage 128 video card for an ATI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition. This is a Blue & White system that is now running a Powerlogix G4 550 ZIF upclocked to 600 MHz, and Panther 10.3.2.

I keep OS 9.2.2 on its own partition to use for Classic, as well as the occasional OS 9 boot. After the video card upgrade, all attempts to boot from OS 9, whether from my partition, or OS 9.1 install CD, result in a gray screen. Never see the Happy Mac!

I swapped the old video card back in, hoping it would allow me to boot from OS 9 & install the Radeon's OS 9 drivers, but I still couldn't boot OS 9 in any form except as Classic under X.

I have reset PRAM & Open Firmware, run Disk Warrior on my Classic Drive. I ran the ATI installer under classic & it reported success, but the ATI Displays control panel can't open in Classic. Error message is: "ATI Displays could not be loaded. Perhaps the ATI Extension is not in the System Folder, or the Extensions were turned off during start up." Both of these "guesses" are dead wrong.

I am out of ideas, short of a total wipe/reinstall, and since I can't even boot from the OS 9 install CD, I am not about to try this. Panther still works fine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Do you have other PCI Cards installed?

e.g. a Sonnet Tempo PCI 133 or ATTO SCSI card might conflict with the Radeon and cause a lockup at startup. It's a busmastering conflict, I suppose... Otherwise, if it boots and doesn't hang, I would try to reinstall the ATI Drivers (download them at versiontracker) and use the Extension Manager to check if they all load.

If you have installed a system after installation, the Happy Mac is gone, but the Mac should boot anyway. After some seconds, the screen MacOS9 should appear. Try to boot from an OS9 bootable CD and reinstall OS9. Delete the original ATI drivers and replace them afetrwards with the ATI drivers from versiontracker.

Hopefully, the ATI card is in the 66 Mhz PCI slot.