Floppy disk drives -> CD drives

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The Macs do not have the floppy disk drives anymore. What are you doing to save your data ? Are you using the CD drive ?

Is it true that we can't use each writable CDs more than 50 times to write on them ?

Is it true that writable CDs are slower than the old floppy disks ?

I refuses to use the Zip drive in the QuickSilver case. Can I put something else there ?

I want to put some Magneto-Optical (MO) internal drive into the QuickSilver. Is it possible ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kali:

<strong>The Macs do not have the floppy disk drives anymore. What are you doing to save your data ? Are you using the CD drive ?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I generally use iTools to backup smaller files and burn a CD for larger files. AND when my new iMac arrives I can backup everything to one DVD-R! Floppies? Who needs 'em?!

J :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    [quote]Originally posted by jamiemarshall:

<strong>

I generally use iTools to backup smaller files and burn a CD for larger files. AND when my new iMac arrives I can backup everything to one DVD-R! Floppies? Who needs 'em?!

J :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

But is it true that you can't use the same CD disk more than 50 times ? And is it slower or faster than the old 1.44 MB floppy disks ?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I've got CD-RW's that I've burned MANY more than 50 times. I've heard you can reuse them hundreds of times.

Anyway, I rarely move files on disk any more. With broadband connections, it's far easier to use FTP or something else to transfer files. When I have to, though, I use Zip disks or CD-R's.

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Sony CD-RWs are supposedly good for 3000+ erases.

Depending on the speed of your drive, it may be faster. However it's hard to tell since there is so much more data. If you figure the time it saves from taking the floppy out of the drive and replacing it with another 500 times to get the same storage space, the CD is easier and MUCH quicker.

What would you be using floppies for? The only useful thing I find them for is to transfer (small) files between PCs. For backup, I'd definately recommend CDs or DVDs.

~bauman