Macintosh dealer "boutique" prices are whacked.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just picked up an OEM Lite-On 52x CDRW burner after my internal DVD on my Sawtooth G4 crapped out.

Thanks to some great info at xlr8yourmac.com, I decided to try installing it myself and saving the exhorbitant prices charged by Mac dealers. They wanted $150 but I instead picked up the same off the shelf hardware at the cheapo PC store for $45

I think dealers believe they can get away with it since we're Mac owners. If we're willing to pay more for the computer, we'll pay more for peripherals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Or because any tech labor is expensive. Most people are afraid to go inside their computers and figure out how to do stuff.

Stay grounded and remember where stuff goes you take out...and if you can don't say your finished while there are still screws on the table when the person your doing it for is standing there. It freaks them out
  • Reply 2 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    All those Mac shop always overcharge on everything

CD & DVD media, printer, ROM drives, HDs....you name it.

I always go to PC shops for those stuff

however when I am buying some "mac specific" stuff like those made by griffin tech, contour design etc I have no choice but to go to those "mac shops"

A lot of people have illusions about Macs require "mac versions" of HDs and RAM ... these are the type of people that those mac shops are targetting.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

A lot of people have illusions about Macs require "mac versions" of HDs and RAM ... these are the type of people that those mac shops are targetting.

I am under the impression that a lot of Mac users are just that type.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You may be comparing a gray market dealer to a white market dealer. Not a fair comparison.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

You may be comparing a gray market dealer to a white market dealer. Not a fair comparison.

I'm not sure about that. It wouldn't surprise me if these Mac dealers get their stuff from the same place the PC store get theirs.

And on top of that, a similarly price retail boxed Samsung burner at my BestBuy was $50 cheaper (even before an additional $70 mail in rebate offer).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Is NewEgg a gray market dealer? Because they sell stuff for reasonable prices - like my CD-RW (which is fully supported by OS X) for $38.