FedEx buying kinko's for 2.4 billion... cash.

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
now, don't get me wrong... i both hate kinko's with every ounce of my being, but having worked there as my first job after college, it created the foundation for the prepress and computer knowledge i use today.

here's the full story...

my guess is that this is in direct response to UPS buying out Mailboxes, Etc. and creating "the ups store". one can only hope that this massive influx of money (FedEx made $23 billion this year as opposed to Kinko's, which made almost $2 billion... yikes!), as well as fedex not tolerating some of the idiot management and personnel to really create a better atmosphere.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Yeah, Kinko's is one of those places that you're glad exist only when it's 3am, you're desperate for something and the expense is no option. It will be interesting to see what FedEx does with the company.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Last time I went to Krapos I had to copy my tax forms before I mailed them off. So I need a counter key thingy to get the copier working, I go to the front desk but everyone's away, I wander back to the copiers to see if there's maybe a coin one, wander back to the front desk, now there's three of us there waiting, girl behind the counter tells some woman that there's only one counter and some other guy is next, I tell her i was in before the other two, woman behind desk doesn't know what to do so I say, "How about I leave and you wont have to worry about it?" Never went back. That place sucks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Whoa, you gave her attitude like that over a simple lineup problem? I hate dealing with customers like you.

• Reply 4 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    the problem, from what i remember, was that around '97, kinko's went corporate (as opposed to sole-ownership by one guy), and they sucked every ounce of life possible out of every branch. suddenly, no one cared to do a good job anymore. we all had to wear the damn kinko's blue oxford shirts (before that, we could wear professional dress), they raised prices to apoint that we had to hold back laughs when we told someone it would cost them $10 for ONE FREAKIN' SCAN. they refused to upgrade ANY of the self-serve or computer services department hardware, and accused the computer services department of not forwarding people to the self-serve computers often enough (because they make a TON of money per minute, because the people usually fumble around and waste time and money trying to get stuff done)... the corporate monkeys really brought in some "pointy-hair management" dilbert-style in the late-90's.

seriously, the job just sucked the "care" out of all of us. when our generation left, we were replaced by teens and college students who didn't want to work fast-food.

• Reply 5 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Whoa, you gave her attitude like that over a simple lineup problem? I hate dealing with customers like you.

Not just that. 1) No one at the front desk. 2) Not enough counter key thingys. There were only two people making copies at the time. They only have two? 3) Clueless worker has no idea what's going on in store.

Three strikes and I'm out
  • Reply 6 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I've been to a Kinkos just once. On holidays and cruising through a city for some supplies. My wife and kids hit the drugstore, I hit the Kinkos to surf Mac sites for 15 minutes.

Everyone else is laying out brochures, designing shit, and I'm posting funny images on an internet message board.

Loser.

• Reply 7 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's awesome if you ask me...a counter to the purchase of Mailboxes Etc by UPS, which probably hasn't panned out like they wanted. I never trusted Kinkos for its FedEx stuff before, but now I think I'll have less of a problem dropping off my oversized InternetShip labeled packages there.