How many 1 GHz G4s does Apple have?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I havethe scary idea that Apple might run out of the highest-level chips, and not be able to ship them anytime soon. I remember the 500 MHz fiasco. Badtimes, and they might happen again, especially since the top end is TWO of these processors. Arg. Does anyone know how many of these chips Allpe has in storage?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    In all likelyhood the top 3 machines are 1Ghz chips with the 933 being a down clocked and differently marked 1Ghz in most cases.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    How many do you want?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Matsu, why would you say that? Motorola sells 933 MHz MPC7455s. They are not the same price. Why would Apple waste money by doing that?

cdhostage, the 500 MHz fiasco was different. It was lack of 500 MHz chips due to errata discovered before any 500 MHz G4s actually shipped.

If Apple had a shortage of 1000 MHz CPUs, it wouldn't have put it in a dual configuration. The truth is that 1 GHz CPUs are probably relatively easy for Motorola to produce now, and we'll probably see one or two speedbumps between now and the end of the year.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't think Apple does the remarking of procs. I think Moto does. They're probably all fabbed at 1 ghz. Slightly lower quality batches are probably marked 933. I bet they over-clock to 1Ghz no problem, it's only 66Mhz difference. Pretty sure they don't run to seperate fabs for that.

Remember how 667 dissapeared once the 7450 had been in production for a while? I bet that 933 dissapears as production of 1Ghz chips ramps up even further.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    This latest line of towers is the first that has the fastest processor as the dual config. That says something about Apple's trust that Moto has enough. I think this bodes really well for the towers, in that there will be several speed bumps this year.

If I recall correctly, the 500MHz problem was due to an error and it reoccurred at 1GHz. Apple waited for Moto to sort it out, and now that they have good GHz chips, I imagine that more and faster chips will come later this year.

~bauman
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Eh? All those processors are 'fabbed' the same way. If Motorola stamps a 933 as a 933, it's not a 1000 MHz CPU. It won't be sold as one and it won't be priced as one. If Motorola lists availability of a 933 MHz chip, you can be pretty sure they make enough of them to sell.

Apple stopped selling the 667 MHz Power Mac, but Motorola never stopped making the CPUs. Apple probably felt the 66.6 MHz gap wasn't big enough for most people to care.

There hasn't been 66.6 MHz gap between Power Macs since... 733 and 867...800 and 933.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by bauman:

<strong>This latest line of towers is the first that has the fastest processor as the dual config. That says something about Apple's trust that Moto has enough. I think this bodes really well for the towers, in that there will be several speed bumps this year.

~bauman</strong><hr></blockquote>

wrong! the 1st batch of dual proccessor G4's were single 400, dual 450 and dual 500, look it up!

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: Hes Nikke ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Eh? All those processors are 'fabbed' the same way. If Motorola stamps a 933 as a 933, it's not a 1000 MHz CPU. It won't be sold as one and it won't be priced as one. If Motorola lists availability of a 933 MHz chip, you can be pretty sure they make enough of them to sell.

.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am sorry to said the contrary Eugene, but it's not so simple, in the contrary Overclocking will never work.

Motorola is producing whole waffer of 7455 and then they test it at various speed, they start at 1000 mhz and they select all the chips that works at this speed, then they try 933 mhz, then a lesser speed, and then they put the chip in the garbage if the speed is too slow. Of course, i know you that i have nothing to teach you with that.

But you forgot one point : if the yields are excellent, the percentage of 1 ghz chip may be more important than the percentage of 933 mhz chips needed for Apple supply. In this case, they take the 1 hgz chip and they write on him 933 mhz. So you have to different type of 933 mhz chip : the one who can reach 1 ghz and the ones who can't.

If too much chips will reach the 1 ghz wall, then the 933 mhz will disapear and we might see a single 1ghz powermac.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    That's not what I said, but whatever.

If Motorola has good yields of its 1000 MHz chips andnot many that end up being in the 933 MHz range, they will drop it altogether...not Apple. Look at the 7450.. There's no 800 MHz chip in Motorola's white paper...it goes from 733 to 867.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I'd say they have a hefty bunch. I got mine yesterday at Microcenter and seemed to have quite a few boxes out and I'm sure they had more. The best part about it: LOTS of people looking at the towers interested in them. I went to Microcenter like a few weeks back before they had these new G4s and the iMac out/on display and nobody was there. The Mac section section yesterday was getting steady traffic.

Next stop: overclock to lets say 1.2 GHz.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>That's not what I said, but whatever.

If Motorola has good yields of its 1000 MHz chips andnot many that end up being in the 933 MHz range, they will drop it altogether...not Apple. Look at the 7450.. There's no 800 MHz chip in Motorola's white paper...it goes from 733 to 867.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, i agree Motorola can do that, but not Apple. excuse my poor understanding.