Erratic lockups on 10.3, I'm new! Help!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So, I've had my Powerbook - my first Mac - for about 1½ weeks now. I love it! It's perfect in every regard. Except one.

Sometimes the entire OS just freezes. The multi-colored swirling vortex of terror (the 'working' cursor in other words) appears and the music stops. I can move the mouse, but I can't do anything. No matter what key combination I try, nothing happens.

Then after about 30 seconds the music starts playing again for 5-8 seconds and the stops once more. Rince and repeat. So far I haven't seen it get back on track, and I usually have to do a hardboot.

Strange thing is that the screen goes into powersave mode after a little while, and a little later it turns itself off entirely.

What - to - do?!

What can I possibly do to stop this insanity!? :|

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Used to happen to me till 10.3.1 too, except the mac eventually recovered... Never happens on my parents" iMac though.. You sure you haven't installed some weird drivers or .apes?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eudaimic

So, I've had my Powerbook - my first Mac - for about 1½ weeks now. I love it! It's perfect in every regard. Except one.

Sometimes the entire OS just freezes. The multi-colored swirling vortex of terror (the 'working' cursor in other words) appears and the music stops. I can move the mouse, but I can't do anything. No matter what key combination I try, nothing happens.

Then after about 30 seconds the music starts playing again for 5-8 seconds and the stops once more. Rince and repeat. So far I haven't seen it get back on track, and I usually have to do a hardboot.

Strange thing is that the screen goes into powersave mode after a little while, and a little later it turns itself off entirely.

What - to - do?!

What can I possibly do to stop this insanity!? :|

I have used a Mac for many years and never experience this problem. What i would recommend is thinking about what you do before it happens. My computer has only required a restart (as in a proper freeze) about five times (I've had it over a year) and almost every time it was when i was importing music into iTunes and there was a problem with the song or something. Anyway, think about what you were doing, also try the Command - Option - Esc key combination, if that doesn't work and it still keeps on crashing I'd re-install the software after backing up your files, i hope this helps, if you want to be more specific with what you were using I'll have another go.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I have had this happen on me up until 10.3 also. It used to occur when I was doing things that jag did not like, It almost seemed like it was trying to keep up with me. I hate waiting for my OS to do things so if finder hung I would click all over the place and do anything I could think of to stop it, If it hung trying to empty the trash I would start the terminal run top kill the process and try and RM the files all at the same time, the the terminal would hang and yadi yadi.

This leads me to a question, What OS are you using? I know you said you had not had this computer very long but I figured there is still a chance in you using jag. So?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I'm on Panther.

Well I do have a few things installed here and there. But I can't pinpoint anything specific that I was doing when it happened. Other than perhaps the fact that iTunes was playing...

I have Synergy for iTunes running all the time, but I would hate to have that be the problem since I love it
  • Reply 5 of 16
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Hmm. Do you realize that when an app hangs like that, you can switch to another app and kill the offender? Maybe it's s dumb suggestion, but all the first-time OSX users I've admin'ed didn't get the idea until I showed them. Caused a lot if very unnecessary reboots.

Basically, unless you see the "kernal panic" screen, the entire OS hasn't crashed, just one of the apps. Although you can't select any menus or push any buttons from within the crashed apps, you can still switch apps be either clicking on another open window (or the Desktop) or by clicking on another app in the Dock. Once in the other app (or in the Finder), all the menus and controls work again, and you can kill the offending, crashed app from the Dock (control-click on its icon and choose Quit) or from ForceQuit (under the Apple Menu). Then relaunch the killed app and get back to work.

Again, sorry if this is obvious to you, but it seems to be very non-obvious to most people who are new to OSX.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Again, sorry if this is obvious to you, but it seems to be very non-obvious to most people who are new to OSX.

I'll make sure the next time it happens (if it happens again), but I seem to remember trying everything from apple-tab to exposé and what have you, and nothing seemed to do anything. Neither did apple-alt-esc...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If you load up too many programs and don't have enough ram it could be a problem. I'm running on "stock" ram on my powerbook and can't wait for the 512 MB I ordered to come in.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    This is a known issue with Panther, sometimes the OS just hangs, the only things still working is the mouse cursor. It isn't a RAM issue, I've got 1GB and it occasionally happens to me. AFAICT it isn't an app issue either.

what happens is that everything going on just stops, except the mouse cursor. after 5-10 minutes things come back for a short while, then hang again, and finally, IME, everything comes back within 15 minutes.

Every time this has happened to me, RAM usage was normal before and after, and top didn't seem to think any process was hogging the CPU.

I haven't pinpointed it to anything. It just hasn't happened since 10.3.2, but I haven't used my Mac that much since the update either. Which OS are you running?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I'm sorry you are experiencing such issues with Panther. Lets try some basic troubleshooting things to see if it clears up the issue for you. If all these suggestions fail, I'd backup your data and perform a clean install of the OS.

1) Zap PRAM - You restart your Mac. Immediately following the startup tone, you hold Command (Open Apple), Option, P, and R keys until you hear another startup tone.

If this suggestion alone does not help (may not from what u describe), you can try the following things also.

2) Seek out and download the "Cache Out X" application. It zaps all your major Caches that could have become corrupt.

I bet this (# 2) fixes it up for you...

3) Run FSCK - Restart Mac while holding the S and Apple keys, then type what it tells you to type followed by a space and -f to force it to run with Journaling enabled (since I assume you have not [nor should you] turned it off)

OK sorry...

My gf is rushing me, or I'd write more here for you to try.

If you do find you need to perform a clean install, you should be sure to only install additional applications and haxies (if you really must...) one at a time. Then you can run with the system a while to be certain all is stable.

good luck!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I used to have a problem that sounds a lot like this with Jaguar on a PowerBook that had a relatively small boot partition. What I eventually figured out was happening was that, when the virtual memory size got to be a significant portion of the available hard disk space Jaguar was simply not smart enough to fix the problem gracefully. Was this problem fixed in Panther?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I've gotten more lock-ups in the past week then I have on 3 computer running OS X since 10.1!

I believe it's Age Of Mythology, it never seem to like when I switch back and forth between applications a lot. I don't get the a kernal panic but everything locks up, music stops, and I can't even switch apps. Like I said I only notice that it happens when I'm playing Age of Mythology and either recently have, or am switching applications.

Any suggestions to help with this? I guess I'll just try some of the normal stuff, though I don't see how zapping the PRAM or clearing chache would help.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    I have the same problem, which I never had with Jaguar. It still happens under 10.3.2 for me.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    first of all this belongs in the Genius Bar... second you should try following some common suggestions in the FAQ sticky in that forum...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Putting on my Dori face of Finding Nemo fame: "Oh Mr. Grumpypants". Sorry, couldn't help it

Happy New Year everyone, thank you for your support so far. However I still have the problem

In fact I have it sitting here next to me (which means I'm typing this on my Windows machine, irk!). The clock says 21.46 on the PB and 13.16 on my Windows machine, it is still locked, you do the math.

What I'm going to do is simply wipe it. Quite an annoyance since that means I have to regenerate a lot of system settings when I have it back online, but thankfully I can backup my home directory to my PC.

I guess I might hold off on 10.3.2 for a while and see if that's what's causing the trouble.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    The only thing you still could do is to repair Disk Permissions with Disk Utility. Doing this now and then keeps your computer healthy anyways.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Also, did you install tirth-party fonts (even without knowing it) ? OSX is very sensitive for it. I just had similar problem: Safari, Mail and even Disk Utility didn't start up. Just kept hanging. It was a font. Disabling it with Fontbook did the trick.