Will Airport Extreme Work With Any Wireless Router?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I got a question about the Airport Extreme. Will the wireless card work with any wireless router like Lynkss or other brands. The reason I ask is because I want to run my PB from an Internet connection hooked up to a PC. Your thoughts and advice would be awesome. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    In general, yes.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    As long as you have the access information for the Wireless Access Point (WAP), then you should be fine. The only advantage to getting an AE Base Station is the "coolness factor", USB printer sharing (if you need it), and the Apple Ease Of Use ®.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    treetree Posts: 30member
    Thanks! For some reason, I thought you had to buy the Airport Extreme Base Station.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I have a linksys router and it works fine. BTW does anyone know how I can tell if it's connect at the g speed or b speed?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I have a linksys router and it works fine. BTW does anyone know how I can tell if it's connect at the g speed or b speed?

Try this. It's a bandwidth test that should tell you the speed that your getting. Click on tests+tools and do a "speed test". That will tell you your up and down speeds and give you a general idea of if you are getting b or g speeds. The other tests on there are cool too, play around with them.

Edit: Just a note...on my 500/128 cable line I got 502/256. I'm happy
  • Reply 6 of 12
    That also test my cable modem connection too that may not push me past "b" speeds.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I got 2415 kbps
  • Reply 8 of 12
    yes yes yes apple's not THAT proprietary
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

In general, yes.

So far mine has worked with all other WAPs I have come across.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

As long as you have the access information for the Wireless Access Point (WAP), then you should be fine. The only advantage to getting an AE Base Station is the "coolness factor", USB printer sharing (if you need it), and the Apple Ease Of Use ®.

And bridging...

I want to get a wireless router from Linksys... I have an Airport Extreme card but I was wondering if it'd be a bad idea to get the "b" version over the "g". So far the only advantage I can see is local speed. If I'm not going to need that 54mbit/s speed is there any other reason for me not to save $30 and get a "b" router?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I was in the same position but got the g. For one thing using WEP will knock down the throughput a little so I'd figured I'd take all I could get. Also when I get a new desktop it will have at least 100 Mbps networking so the g networking can be useful.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I don't know how, but with Linksys, you can share a USB printer