10.3 on a G4 cube?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone tried to install Panther on a G4 cube? Does it run as well as it should? (I might be getting an old one cheap that runs 10.2, and i might upgrade)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Panther is the fastest Xversion on ANY hardware I have ever tried it on.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Has anyone tried to install Panther on a G4 cube? Does it run as well as it should? (I might be getting an old one cheap that runs 10.2, and i might upgrade)

No problems with mine so far...although honestly I don't use the sexy thing as often as I'd like to.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I met someone at the Café this morning...who runs Panther on a Powerbook G4 450, and says "it runs like a dream".

Nuff said.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    If it helps, I'm currently running Panther on an iMac DV.

We're talking 4-year-old hardware here, with a 400MHz G3 and 8MB graphics, so...

Runs Panther a hell of a lot better than the Public Beta or 10.1!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I'm running it on a 500MHz Pismo and loving it.

Should be even better on a Cube.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I have an original iMac (Rev. A 233 with 6MB VRAM and 288MB RAM) running panther that is my print server and "free" mac--connected to the internet and always ready to go...

runs like a champ, almost as fast as 9... (considering things like expose work on it that is quite a feat)
  • Reply 7 of 14
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    running panther on a cube 500, with 1 gig mem.

runs very quickly w/o (hardly) any spinning beach balls.

however, for Photoshop, or even iPhoto with thousands of photos, I get the beach ball frequently.

however, NOTHING can replace this cube. i love it.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

I currently have panther running on:

300mhz G3 Ibook, runs fine

BlueBerry 350 mhz Imac, runs fine

G4 450 mhz Cube, runs fine

600 mhz Flowerpower Imac, runs fine.

and 1ghz 17" Imac, runs fine.

8)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Interesting to note, while Panther runs fine on a cube, Panter Server does not. I had retired my cube to the closet to act as a family server with a firewire raid. All's well until 10.3 server install (which to Apple's credit, the cube was not listed under supported devices) Anway, it forced me to buy a G5 for home and use the G4 tower for a server. Oh well...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I'm also running Panther on a Cube, and using it as a server in the background(FTP, Apache, and VNC), and it works great.

But, you need at least 512 megs of RAM, IMO, to run smoothly.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Running 10.3.2 on a Cube (450mhz 16MB VRAM, 384 mb ram) Thats right, only 384MB of ram. Still runs like a dream. I do heavy Photoshoping and a lot of Final cut pro work. Although it isn't blazing, the render times are surprisingly quick for a machine with such low specs. Go for the Cube, it's an amazing machine!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    G5 (only option)

G4/dual 450

G3/350 Blue and White (B/W)

iMac

PowerBook 867 Alu

iBook G3 700

All of these are running OS X 10.3.2 and smooth sailing.

JUST REMEMBER, IF YOU HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS, DO A CLEAN INSTALL. You probably installed some crap on accident.

-walloo.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    10.2.3 on my cube 450mhz (1gb ram).

it's almost like a g5 - without the noise.

;-)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Panther is the fastest Xversion on ANY hardware I have ever tried it on.

i agree, i have it on my 400 Mhz iMac G3, it has a good chunk of RAM in it (768) but it runs incredibly smoothly for a G3