Dual G5 Freezing IOATAController

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My G5 is experiencing a lot freezes and beachballs of death. When I looked at the system logs I found a strange message that was always present when the system freezes occur, the message reads:

Quote:

Jan 2 20:12:53 localhost kernel: IOATAController device blocking bus.

Jan 2 20:13:27 localhost last message repeated 3 times

Jan 2 20:15:18 localhost last message repeated 5 times

Jan 2 20:20:50 localhost last message repeated 15 times

Jan 2 20:20:50 localhost kernel: disk1: 0x3 (UNDEFINED).

Jan 2 20:21:24 localhost kernel: IOATAController device blocking bus.

Jan 2 20:22:07 localhost kernel: IOATAController device blocking bus.

Jan 2 20:24:10 localhost last message repeated 6 times

I have two drives a Maxtor 120 GB as the OS drive , no problems there. And my data drive the OEM Seagate 160 GB, every time the OEM drive is connected the message about the IOATAController always show up. I've run the test utility on a Windows System everything shows up fine, I'm very confused, do I have a 160 GB paperweight or is my G5 acting up??? It has been like this since day one

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ucaboys

My G5 is experiencing a lot freezes and beachballs of death. When I looked at the system logs I found a strange message that was always present when the system freezes occur, the message reads:

I have two drives a Maxtor 120 GB as the OS drive , no problems there. And my data drive the OEM Seagate 160 GB, every time the OEM drive is connected the message about the IOATAController always show up. I've run the test utility on a Windows System everything shows up fine, I'm very confused, do I have a 160 GB paperweight or is my G5 acting up??? It has been like this since day one

Any help will be appreciated.

Some G5 have hardware issues. Perhaps your G5 is a lemon : contact Apple directly. Some people encountering this type of problems have obtained an exchange.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    excellent question for the Genius Bar.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The drive in question...did you install it later or did Apple install it?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by DawgFather

The drive in question...did you install it later or did Apple install it?

It was an Apple installed OEM drive, a 160 GB Baracuda SATA