The first to break his new Imac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yes - I was the first person to return his iMac to the Apple Clarendon store after screwing it up. Apparently you need to boot into OS 9 when installing hardware drivers - you can't boot into OS X and then start up the classic environment for the install (who knew?). After all, all of my software installs worked just fine this way. The end result was a clicking hardrive and a flashing question mark when re-booting. And, neither being familiar with OS X nor having a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable for target disk mode, I grudgingly trudged down to the Apple Store with my iMac to get it fixed.

Turns out you can hold down the option key when booting which will allow you to access the Superdrive so you can boot off of a CD. A quick run of Disk First Aid fixed everything. So my lessons are two. One, when installing hardware drivers for OS 9 apps, actually boot up in OS 9. Two, having all your troubleshooting documentation online or on your hard drive is worthless when the computer won't start. I do feel kind of dumb, but thought I'd post this note under threat of ridicule if it saves anyone else trouble I had.

:o

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Turkey Boy:

<strong> I do feel kind of dumb, but thought I'd post this note under threat of ridicule if it saves anyone else trouble I had.

:o </strong><hr></blockquote>

Its not like you watered your iMac thinking the LCD screen would grow

Don't feel dumb, everybody makes mistakes. Besides, you're probably going to save someone else a big headache.

Did you get the machine back already?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Yeah - the Apple rep at the Genius Bar earned his stripes by diagnosing and fixing the problem pretty quickly. I did hang around and reinstall the hardware drivers after re-booting in OS 9, just to make sure that everything worked before I took it home again. Pretty good customer service by Apple I'd say.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Turkey Boy:

<strong> I do feel kind of dumb, but thought I'd post this note under threat of ridicule if it saves anyone else trouble I had.

:o </strong><hr></blockquote>

dont feel dumb. i think i was the first person to crash OS X on the new imac. and i did it within 60 seconds of playing with it. my husband wouldnt let me near it for the whole day after that. it crashed so bad,and wouldnt restart, that he said, "if you cant do it, call apple, cuz im not fixing it for you this time."

i think i can figure out the hard things, but it's the easy stuff im oblivious to. LOL!

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>

Its not like you watered your iMac thinking the LCD screen would grow </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hello 17" iMac!

mac's girl: How did you crash OS X in 60 seconds? That's impressive!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    [quote]Originally posted by mac's girl:

<strong>

dont feel dumb. i think i was the first person to crash OS X on the new imac. and i did it within 60 seconds of playing with it. my husband wouldnt let me near it for the whole day after that. it crashed so bad,and wouldnt restart, that he said, "if you cant do it, call apple, cuz im not fixing it for you this time."

i think i can figure out the hard things, but it's the easy stuff im oblivious to. LOL!

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mac's Girl,

You are not alone. I killed mine the first day I had it too. I'm not even sure what I did either. I had Explorer, OmniWeb, Mail, and Myth III (I'm 30, but I still love to play) open and active and it just froze up. Couldn't get force quit to work or anything. I love the part in the "manual" for troubleshooting: [paraphrase] if force quit or restart do not work, unplug the computer and start over.

That's what I did. No more problems (so far).

Thoth

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Thoth2 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Thoth2:

<strong>

Mac's Girl,

You are not alone. I killed mine the first day I had it too. I'm not even sure what I did either. I had Explorer, OmniWeb, Mail, and Myth III

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Myth 3 currently has a known problem. It will kernel panick OS X. The only safe way to play it is in OS 9. The publishers are aware of the problem, but there is no word on if there is a patch coming.

It is amazing really.... it is the only software that I am aware of that can fairly regularly kernel panick OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Do you like your new iMac? I am thinking of getting one but can't decide what to do.

Also has any one else noticed that Myth 3 kinda sucks. I waited so long for it to come out. I was so mad at how bad it sucked. Myth 2 was the best.

Why does it say I am a junior member? I never gave them my age.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: M5884 ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by jutus:

<strong>

mac's girl: How did you crash OS X in 60 seconds? That's impressive!</strong><hr></blockquote>

nah, not impressive for me. i seem to have the touch of death, i swear! even my houseplants die in days of being in my presence. i think i had iphoto, idisk, itools crunching away and perhaps some other apps running. the imac froze so bad the power button wouldnt respond!!! i had to unplug it (the apple techs told me to do it) which messed up the pram. for the next few days, the clock kept giving the wrong day/time. finally, after zapping the pram several more times, the clock is working ok.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Thoth2:

<strong>

Mac's Girl,

You are not alone. I killed mine the first day I had it too. I'm not even sure what I did either. I had Explorer, OmniWeb, Mail, and Myth III (I'm 30, but I still love to play) open and active and it just froze up. Couldn't get force quit to work or anything. I love the part in the "manual" for troubleshooting: [paraphrase] if force quit or restart do not work, unplug the computer and start over.

That's what I did. No more problems (so far).

Thoth

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Thoth2 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

wait, i forgot the best part! while i had problems with the clock (and was trying to figure out whether it was a harware problem) i ran that techtool disk utility that comes with the applecare warranty plan. it totally screwed the imac up!!! after it completely froze, i kept getting a blinking question mark and coudnt boot up again. &lt;sigh&gt; never using that crap again. so much for the applecare package.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Gastropod:

<strong>

Myth 3 currently has a known problem. It will kernel panick OS X. The only safe way to play it is in OS 9. The publishers are aware of the problem, but there is no word on if there is a patch coming.

It is amazing really.... it is the only software that I am aware of that can fairly regularly kernel panick OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the word. I found out about the problem after about 1 hour of killing the same Wight and getting kicked out of the game. Then I spent another hour looking for a patch. Finally, in small print somewhere in a FAQ, it said, "Don't play in OS X, we'll fix it." Thanks. I bought it b/c it was supposed to be OSX native.

I now play in OS 9 ( of course, now I'm addicted to OttoMatic. I'm 30, but whimsical games get me all the time.)

Thoth
  • Reply 11 of 11
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    My biggest goof lately was installing the 9.2.2 upgrade in Classic mode in OS X. It installed apparently just fine (it should have noticed it was running in Classic, not native, mode and stopped me), but when it was done, all sorts of Classic apps were screwed up - I couldn't save, stuff wouldn't launch, all sorts of wierd error messages - a real nightmare. Turned out it had somehow broken the links between the files and the owner, so OS X was locking all these files and not letting me at them, thinking they didn't belong to me. I finally had to boot into OS 9 and do a Sherlock search for every locked file on the drive. I unlocked anything that looked like it didn't need to be, and finally everything was back in order. Sheesh!