What's our connection to MacNN?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Are we owned by MacNN, or something like that?

I'm curious - can somebody please clarify for me the history of AI?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Are we owned by MacNN, or something like that?

I'm curious - can somebody please clarify for me the history of AI?

TIA

The AppleInsider forums and the MacNN forums still have the same IP address, so I assume that the forums are still hosted by MacNN. But AppleInsider was acquired by another entity...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

The AppleInsider forums and the MacNN forums still have the same IP address, so I assume that the forums are still hosted by MacNN. But AppleInsider was acquired by another entity...

Correct on the first part. Incorrect on the latter part.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Correct on the first part. Incorrect on the latter part.

So what does this mean? Does MacNN still own AI ... and ... why would MacNN even bother to run/host two forums (MacNN and AI)? Wouldn't it have been easier and more efficient for them to just host the one forum?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jay1jay1 Posts: 22member
    Well as far as i know a fue months back. macnn owned ai but was getting tired of running it so some compeny was susposto buy it and take over hosting it them self wich i guess they never did. one thing i do know is a fue of the apple outsider staff admin both boards still.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

So what does this mean? Does MacNN still own AI ... and ... why would MacNN even bother to run/host two forums (MacNN and AI)? Wouldn't it have been easier and more efficient for them to just host the one forum?

don't ask don't tell

not really sure this is good stuff to discuss in public due to the reasons MacNN tried to distance itself from AI and pretend to sell it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    Forums are probably still on the same server.

I know that no one from MacNN has any authority here.

Kasper runs the front page and ostensibly is the 'owner' of the forums as well.

I do not know his connection to MacNN currently.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Funny thing is I happened to be looking at the Vbulletin home site & at some stage they hosted a lot of forums like this one for free. They had to be community based & the like, & I always thought that Ai was under that umbrella and hosted for free.

But I also noted that such free service was being continued to existing member forums, but no longer being extended to new applicant sites.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

don't ask don't tell

not really sure this is good stuff to discuss in public due to the reasons MacNN tried to distance itself from AI and pretend to sell it.

OK - I asked the question out of "innocent" curiosity, not knowing about any inside history of MacNN and AI. At a guess, I presume MacNN don't want to come under fire from Apple legal if AI unearths an Apple secret. However, if AI is to be sold off, what does this mean to us, as community members?

If this topic is not fit for the forum, please PM me a response. Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

OK - I asked the question out of "innocent" curiosity, not knowing about any inside history of MacNN and AI. At a guess, I presume MacNN don't want to come under fire from Apple legal if AI unearths an Apple secret. However, if AI is to be sold off, what does this mean to us, as community members?

If this topic is not fit for the forum, please PM me a response. Thanks.

Jonathan answered your question. His answer is accurate and precise.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

Forums are probably still on the same server....

Which may explain how on occasion when one forum is on the fritz, the other is too.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Jonathan answered your question. His answer is accurate and precise.

OK - thanks Jonathan (and Powerdoc for the clarification!)