Can anyone help with iTunes!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there

I'm trying to duplicate an audio cd that has five tracks that is actually one consistant track (when I created it on my HHB cd burner I manually divided it into 5 tracks). The trouble is even when I asign the gaps between the tracks to '0 seconds' the is an audible gap and click/pop. Surely this can't be as be as good as it gets! I have also tried on a friends 'Toast Titanium 5.0.1' and although I do not know this application, there still seems to be a slight click, even if no gap this time. I would prefer to stay with 'iTunes' as I know this (at least I thought I did!), but if anyone knows of better software for this I would be very very grateful. I am running OS9.2 (but I have a partitioned drive with OSX).

Thanks

colray

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I believe that you are able to close the gap between tracks, but that will make all five tracks on your CD into one, so I don't know how much that helps you.

Note: In the future, post iTunes stuff in Digital Hub
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks for that. I did close the gaps in iTunes, but it kept the original 5 tracks, which is what I wanted. so that bit seemed to be ok! it was just the clicks that stay between tracks.

colray
  • Reply 3 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    How did you divide the one track into 5? Perhaps the clicks/pops are actually in the tracks themselves and is not part of the track switching.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by colray

I'm trying to duplicate an audio cd that has five tracks that is actually one consistant track (when I created it on my HHB cd burner I manually divided it into 5 tracks). The trouble is even when I asign the gaps between the tracks to '0 seconds' the is an audible gap and click/pop.

Did you first rip from a source CD into AAC or MP3 format, and now you're trying to burn a new CD using the ripped copies of the tracks?

If that's the case, and the original CD doesn't go silent between tracks, you'll get exactly the results you're getting.

Why? Because both the MP3 and AAC formats add a tiny amount of "padding" to the beginning and ending of each individual audio file. Even when you burn using a gap of zero seconds, there's still a few tens of milliseconds of this padding -- not much, but enough to hear an audible drop out.

How do you fix this? Two ways: One way is to go to the Advanced menu and use the "Join CD Tracks" command. The disadvantage here is that the joined tracks become a single audio file, and when you burn a copy the proper track divisions will be missing.

The second way is to go into Preferences and change your "Import Using" option to "AIFF Encoder". You probably won't want to use the AIFF encoder all of the time -- it makes for very big audio files -- but it's useful for solving the problem you describe.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hey there chych and shetline!

Thanks very much for the replies.

cynch: I originally divided the tracks when I burnt the music (a live recording) on a stand alone HHB cd recorder, and as the live music was being played manually selected 'track 1', 'track 2' and so on. The original cd is totally clean and click free!

I'll give these a go shetline, the second one sounds particularly useful if I can keep the integrity of the original. Will let you know.........

cheers again

colray