Hard Drive??? Video Capture????

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok this might be a silly question but Im asking! I have a G4 400MHZ 20GB HD w/192MB! going to add 2 128mbs to that soon!

ANYWAY! can I add a internal Hard drive, then use that drive almost like a second computer and run MAC OS 10 on it! Also use for storage for media!

if so what types of drives do you recomend!

also liked to know about video capture cards??? thinking of adding one of the USB ones! To get a little TV on my G4! anyone know of any known problems?????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    DV only requires 3.8MB/sec data transfer so all those IDE drives are fine

1hr of video = approx. 13GB

Make sure get the 7200rpm one.

I would recommend Seagate Barracuda

NEVER BUY IBM!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Leonis is right : buy a 7200 rpm ide HD of 40 GByte minimal, not an IBM , try seagate or maxtor.

There is very few difference of prize between a 5400 rpm and a 7200.

a second HD is a very good investissement , and a good thing for the security of yours data.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Another drive you might want to take a look at is the Western Digital "Special Edition" 100GB 7200RPM EIDE. This is a high performance drive with an 8MB buffer that also comes in a 120GB version. Downside of the WD Special Edition is that it's a bit pricey and may be overkill, depending on how much DV you're planning on doing.

For a great general purpose drive, I'd also recommend the Seagate Barracuda, which is what I replaced my POS IBM "deathstar" with.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: jesperas ]</p>